Q. Can you help with my daughter's low platelet count?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

My 12 year old daughter was fatigued and had blue blotches over her body. The doctor locally ordered blood tests, and the results showed low platelet count of 50000. They administered Cortisone of 30 mg a day for two weeks, and the count went up to 100000. The doctor reduced Cortisone to 15 g a day. She felt fatigued again, and when we conducted the test, the platelet went back down to 50000. They have no answers. Can you help?

#

• If it seems cyanotic patches on examination then cardiac, respiratory and vascular causes need to be searched for.
  • In your child, the low platelet could be commonly due to immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Other causes include chronic infection, blood septicemia, uremia, TTP (thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura), drugs, etc.
  • According to examination, further workup will be planned like if needed to confirm ITP, then do bone marrow examination study.
  • As with steroid, the count improved previously. So, it seems most likely to be ITP. For ITP, steroid and intravenous immunoglobulin are the mainstay therapy with or without platelet transfusion.
  • Consult nearby physician or hematologist for examination and accordingly plan the management.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|