Q. I have dry and scaly skin with white and black scars. Please help.

Dr. Gauri Kshirsagar
Published on Dec 10, 2019

I have very dry skin. My skin is like fish skin since I was in my grade school until today. I have white and black scars also. Please help.

#

I have read your query, the following is my diagnosis and treatment.

There can be a lot of reasons for dry skin. From a genetic cause like ichthyosis which is a very severe condition to something mild like xerotic eczema. Dry skin worsens in the winter season. You have not mentioned the type of scars you have like is it flat, raised, etc., and which part of the body are they present. (A attached photo will give me a clearer picture of the scars).

You should do the following:

1) Apply lots of moisturizers regularly at least three to four times a day all over the body.

2) A proper way of applying moisturizer is applying it in an ample amount after the bath (i.e when the skin is a bit damp).

3) If the dryness is too severe you will have to use a mild topical steriods (for which I will need a clear photograph of the lesions).

4) A good massage with a non-fragrant oil before bath can improve the suppleness of your skin.

4) Drink lots of water.

5) Eat high fiber and vitamin rich foods like fruits and vegetables.

6) Avoid junk foods.

Avoid soaps or use a very mild liquid soap.

Please follow me up with clearer photographs of your skin lesion.

| 

I developed itchy and dry skin after dyeing hair in salon. Can you have a look?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my skin condition. I have developed a really itchy and dry skin after I dyed my hair. Here are the symptoms. I do not know what the condition is as my appointment is months away. Can I attach pictures?  Read Full »

Kindly give me suggestions to manage dry skin.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a very dry skin to the point that it is stinging and very uncomfortable. Kindly give me recommendations for managing very dry skin. I am taking Iron supplements now. Previously, used to take Hydrocortisone.  Read Full »