Q. Please give some tips to maintain dry skin.

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 11, 2019

My skin on my legs feels dry after washing. I need to apply lotion immediately after I wash. However, after about an hour the skin feels tight and dry again. Is this dry or dehydrated skin? I am using Aveeno, could this be causing it? In the forearm, back of neck and underarms I have the same problem. They hurt at times. I am afraid that my skin or skin barrier is damaged. Please help.

#

I have read about your query.

Dryness of the skin depends on the type of the skin individually. Since you are on moisturizer Aveeno, you can continue it with the following tips.

Apply a moisturizer within three minutes of your bath because some amount of hydration should be present on the skin for the moisturizer to act fully.If you want to apply over noon and evenings, take some amount of lotion and add a few drops of water, mix and apply it. Please check that the moisturizer has humectants or not. If humectants are present, change the moisturizer with only an emollient content.

Because, humectants will act only in humid climates and not in dry climates as it will draw water from the body itself in dry climates and make the skin more dry.

1. Thyroid profile.
2. Fasting blood Sugar.

1. Moisturizer.
2. If cracks and pain are present a mild steroid like Desonide can be mixed with the moisturizer and applied twice daily for two weeks.

| 

Please help with itchy red rashes on the thigh.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a problem with dry skin and rashes. I have a history of atopic eczema on the neck for which I am applying Flutivate cream. 4 weeks back some red rashes started coming up with itching. I thought it is because of dry skin, so I applied coconut oil and moisturizer. The redness ha...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»