Q. After extraction, I got dry socket with pain and swelling of lymph node. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

I am 20 years old. I recently had a tooth extraction due to bad oral hygiene problems. I got dry socket not too long after which got sorted out with medicated dressing. That dressing fell out after three days and I was left with a gap that I am rinsing with salt water three times a day and I am also using clove oil. But I have got some very sore and red ulcers making my life difficult. Also, my left lymph node in my neck swells. I do take pain tablets to help but I am uncomfortable. I had infections in the tooth prior to getting it extracted so I am unsure if that adds to anything.

#

I went through your query and also the attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

First and foremost avoid clove oil in any case, it would burn the soft mucosa and complicate the issue leading to soreness. As a specialist, I also looked for the dry socket but as the click was taken from sideway the inside of the socket was not visible if possible kindly let me see to the extraction socket to assess its healing state. Kindly see if you can upload another image showing the extraction site.

But as per my day to day experience the soreness and pain are added due to burning action form the clove oil then the dry socket. Once, I see the image of the extraction site I can assure you if you need to revisit your dentist for the medicated gauge or not.

But till then, I would like to walk you through the steps you need to follow to ease your discomforts.

Capsule Sporidex 500 mg one capsule bd for five days, tablet Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) five days, capsule Pan D (Pantoprazole) one capsule bd before meals for five days, Betadine mouthwash gargle in lukewarm water two or three times a day.

No clove oil application. Maintain oral hygiene. Take these medications kindly you will definitely be in ease. If possible upload me an image viewing the extraction socket and I will let you know if any further management is needed or not.

Delayed healing of dry socket.

Medications. Rest management after seeing an image of the socket.

Avoid chilled. Sticky or sweet food.

|