Q. Is it true that there is no cure for functional dyspepsia?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 20 year old male, I have a constant and mild abdominal pain whole day, especially in the morning. I feel heavy all day long, but still, have an urge to eat. I fart and belch more than usual and have a foul smell. I have a sense of indigestion in my stomach all day long. I defecate less than I used to. The stools are not watery or lose but are thin and weak as compared to when my stomach was healthy. I do not have any vomiting or lose motion. I do not have any loss of appetite or weight loss. I have been having these symptoms since last two months.

Currently, I am taking tablet Rebel D in the morning on an empty stomach, tablet Colofac before every meal, tablet Gastro-soothe after every meal. I have been having these medicines since one week, but I have not noticed much change. I do not have any allergies. I have done blood tests, ultrasound, and stool test, all of them were normal. The doctor said I have functional dyspepsia. My state has not improved much in the last two months, what am I doing wrong? What should I do now?

I have read other patients testimonies on some websites, and they have written that they are suffering from this disease from the last two years, and it is something that they have to live with for their entire lives. Is this such a serious illness? Do I have to live with it for my whole life? Is it impossible to cure it? Can no medication or surgery cure it? I want to feel normal again, the way I used to before. I used to eat junk food occasionally, and my stomach was able to digest it, but now it seems frail. Kindly help me and if possible give me as much detail as possible. Thank you.

#

Firstly, you are not sick, and you do not have any disease.

• Your symptoms are because of your disturbed gastrointestinal flora, and our intestine contains a lot of bacteria, some of them are good, and some of them are bad.
  • Good bacteria like lactobacillus helps in proper digestion of food. When these good bacteria are destroyed due to wrong food habits or toxins released by bacteria, our digestive system is hampered and symptoms like belching, bloating, constipation, etc. appear.
  • Mild abdominal pain can be due to inflammation of intestinal mucosa. Thin and weak stools with abdominal pain can be caused by gastroenteritis.
  • I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Tablet Cefixime 200, take it twice daily.
  2. Tablet Metro 400 (Metronidazole), try taking it thrice daily.
  3. A combination of antispasmodic and muscle relaxant like tablet Cibis ( combination of Dicyclomine, Chlordiazepoxide, and Clidinium bromide) can be taken along with it, to provide relief from spasmodic pain.
  4. Fybogel (Ispaghula), two teaspoons should be taken twice daily with a cup of water, It contains a husk which increases the volume of stool and adds bulk to it.
  5. Apart from that strict diet and lifestyle modification should be done.
  6. Exercise 30 minutes a day. Eat fresh fruits and vegetable and avoid meat, high-fat diet, and spicy food.
  7. Eat a lot of yogurt or curd it contains lactobacillus which acts as probiotic.
  8. Eat 30-35 grams of fibers, two cups of vegetables and salad daily.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start the medicines after their consent.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I have pain that radiates from my back to the thigh. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old woman. I am suffering from a radiating pain that spreads from back to the lower half of the body. I have this issue since a year. It aggravates when I ride bike. Occasionally, the pain may also radiate upward. If I keep hard item then I get some relief. I am takin...  Read Full »

How to treat my upper back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, While sitting on a sofa, I was completely relaxed, and my body was lying unbalanced against it. Suddenly, I felt some pain that started in the upper back area. But it did not disappear even after I got up and did a lot of body straightening and stretching. It was minor. Particularly in ...  Read Full »

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»