Q. My stomach feels bloated and heavy after food. Please suggest me some medicines.

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am having a gastric problem for the last seven years. The gastric problem means the stomach feels bloated and heavy after having some food items. I have developed lactose intolerance for the previous five years, and having any milk product causes gastric instantly. The same also happens taking oily foods at home or in hotels. I sometimes have gastric after taking other foods randomly. I feel earlier it was occasionally happening but gradually being more frequent.

I work from home and have to sit seven to eight hours daily with the computer. I usually sleep around 2 to 3 AM and wakes up 9 to 10 AM. I have black tea with ginger after breakfast, black coffee or tea without milk in the afternoon, and hot water with black pepper after dinner. I have breakfast at 10.30 AM, launch at 1.30 PM, snacks at 7.30 PM, dinner at 10 PM, and sometimes light snacks at 2 AM.

I take medicines like Eno and Pan-D each time it feels bloated. After taking medication, when the gas passes from behind, the stomach feels relaxed. I had daily gastric episodes two to three times in the last year. I took Pan-D daily morning on an empty stomach for 10 to 12 days to cure those gastric episodes, and I again have another daily gastric attack for the last 15 days. This time I feel bloating or gastric reflux in the stomach after having lunch, the gastric remains throughout the afternoon and evening. I have to take Eno to release the gas in the stomach. These are some queries I need your help with. What is the exact cause of my gastric problem, and which medicine will you suggest to cure this gastric episode? Why do I have such frequent daily gastric episodes? Is there any medicine or natural ways that I should take regularly? Are there any side effects of medicines like Eno, Pan-D with frequent use?

I am looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

#

I reviewed all your details (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Thanks for providing history in great detail.

I am going to answers your queries one by one.

1. This is called Dyspepsia in medical terms. I will say a sensitive stomach.

2. Kindly follow the following medicines for the management.

3. Your stomach is sensitive as compared to other peoples; that is why getting more episodes.

4. Yes, there are medicines that I am prescribing you, but at the same time, you need some testing as well.

5. These medicines are completely safe even with long term use.

Stool for Helicobacter pylori antigen.
TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).
CBC (complete blood count).

Dyspepsia.

1. Tablet Rifaximin 550 mg morning and night for ten days.
2. Tablet Levosulpiride 25 mg thrice daily before meals for 15 days.

Avoid milk.
Try to have some exercise for about one hour daily.
Avoid smoking and alcohol.

|