Q. I had a mole removed which had a darker dot. Was it a melanoma?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

I had a mole removed yesterday from my leg and I am very worried despite my dermatologist saying she did not think it was melanoma. She said she knew I would stare at it constantly and worry and that taking an atypical mole off here and there was alright and saved a lot of anxiety. She knows I have severe health anxiety. This mole was 3.5 mm and the worrisome thing was that it had a darker dot. I was hoping you would take a look. Before I left, I said, “If it is melanoma -“ but she interrupted and said she did not think it was. What I was going to ask though, was if it was, then hopefully it would be early since it is small.

#

I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Clinically, it does not look like melanoma, but it is good that your dermatologist did a biopsy. So, the result will show us if it is a melanoma or not. It may most likely be a dysplastic nevus.

I am sure your dermatologist would have looked at the lesion through a dermoscope, which enhances the features, and pattern of pigmentation.

1. Do you have a history of melanoma?
  2. Is there a family history of melanoma?
  3. Was there any sudden change in the size, shape, or color?

I feel it is good to get it biopsied rather than keep worrying about it.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for your reply. I had not noticed a change. No history or family history of melanoma. Only that little dot worried me.

#

If there has been no significant change in the lesion, then there is nothing much to worry about.

Melanoma presents with sudden changes in size, shape, color, pain, irritation, and bleeding.

The parameters we use to monitor a mole for melanoma changes are:

• A - Asymmetry.
  • B - Border changes, Bleeding.
  • C - Color change.
  • D - Diameter change.
  • E - Evolution.

A biopsy would reveal the nature of pathology. Most likely it will be benign, as it looks clinically and you will be free from worry.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|