Q. I had a mole removed which had a darker dot. Was it a melanoma?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Feb 23, 2018

I had a mole removed yesterday from my leg and I am very worried despite my dermatologist saying she did not think it was melanoma. She said she knew I would stare at it constantly and worry and that taking an atypical mole off here and there was alright and saved a lot of anxiety. She knows I have severe health anxiety. This mole was 3.5 mm and the worrisome thing was that it had a darker dot. I was hoping you would take a look. Before I left, I said, “If it is melanoma -“ but she interrupted and said she did not think it was. What I was going to ask though, was if it was, then hopefully it would be early since it is small.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Clinically, it does not look like melanoma, but it is good that your dermatologist did a biopsy. So, the result will show us if it is a melanoma or not. It may most likely be a dysplastic nevus.

I am sure your dermatologist would have looked at the lesion through a dermoscope, which enhances the features, and pattern of pigmentation.

1. Do you have a history of melanoma?
  2. Is there a family history of melanoma?
  3. Was there any sudden change in the size, shape, or color?

I feel it is good to get it biopsied rather than keep worrying about it.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for your reply. I had not noticed a change. No history or family history of melanoma. Only that little dot worried me.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

If there has been no significant change in the lesion, then there is nothing much to worry about.

Melanoma presents with sudden changes in size, shape, color, pain, irritation, and bleeding.

The parameters we use to monitor a mole for melanoma changes are:

• A - Asymmetry.
  • B - Border changes, Bleeding.
  • C - Color change.
  • D - Diameter change.
  • E - Evolution.

A biopsy would reveal the nature of pathology. Most likely it will be benign, as it looks clinically and you will be free from worry.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

The mole on my arm has two different brown shades. Give me your opinion please.

Query: Hi doctor,I have got a mole on my arm that measures 5 mm and is flat. I have always had this mole. I have not noticed it changing and it has not bled or itched. I am a bit concerned though that it has two different brown shades in it and would like your opinion on it, please.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, I have seen few important things. It is irregular in shape (do not know whether it is in this shape from the beginning), which is not a good sign in my opinion. Secondly, there is ...  Read Full

What do you think about the moles on my back?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some moles on my back and that in my opinion look suspicious. What do you think? Please clarify.  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send the photographs to get a better opinion. Thank you. Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist  Read Full

Do people using tanning beds end up with melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, From when I was 17 years old I have used tanning beds on and off up until I was 22. I was not aware of the risks. Through the internet I learnt about the risks. I got to know that it is inevitable and that will develop melanoma at some point. Do most people who use tanning beds end up wit...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not necessary that everyone who uses a tanning bed will develop melanoma. It varies from person to person depending on the risk factors. Not everyone who uses a tanning bed develops melanoma. Moreover, you do not seem to have any risk factors and all your moles ap...  Read Full