Q. What can cause ear blockage?

My right ear has been blocked a few days ago. Whenever I tried to laugh, smile or wink, the jaw line muscles went up and it pushes to block the right ear hearing. Doctor told me that it is partially ear wax blockage. But, I do not think so. I did try to put olive oil. And also I did not suffer from cold or flu lately.

Do you have a question on Ear Blockage or Ear Wax?

Ask a Doctor Now

MBBS (MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE)., DLO., CERTIFICATE IN ALLERGIC RHINITIS MANAGEMENT., DNB
Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

From the details you have given in your query it seems to me that it is indeed wax only.

As it pushes against the eardrum and further increases the block when you smile, laugh or wink, it is more likely impacted wax than anything else. However, one can be sure of that only if you see inside through an otoscope.

If the doctor looked in through an otoscope and then said it as ear wax then it is most probably correct. In such a case you may apply Soliwax or Waxsolve ear drops of five to six drops around five times a day for four to five days. After that get the pliable wax removed at an ENT clinic.

However, if the doctor had not used an otoscope to see into the ear, then we cannot be sure about whether it is wax or anything else.

Since you are ruling out nose and throat infection, the ear block can be due to any furuncle or localized infection in the ear canal which is blocking the canal and increases the occlusion when you smile, wink and laugh.

• In the latter case, when we are not sure whether it is wax or not, do not apply any drops inside. Also, do not let water go inside when you bath or swim. Consult an otolaryngologist who can look into the same using an otoscope and then diagnose the condition.
  • Olive oil will not help in any case. So, refrain from putting olive oil or any other oil, putting any sticks and instruments inside the ear. Also, do not use ear buds as it may injure the eardrum and worsen the condition.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Is it safe to remove ear wax with earbuds?
Query: Hello doctor, I frequently use earbuds due to itching in my ears since many years. People say it is not good to use earbuds. Please suggest me what should I do when I suffer from itching inside the ear. How do I remove ear wax? I also have a problem in my throat like throat dryness and irritation i...  Read Full »
Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The itching in your ear is very suggestive of a fungal infection in the ear canal. This is very common and the main symptom is itching. Impacted ear wax can also create itching along with a fungal infection. Since you use earbuds, you may have impacted wax too. So, I ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for ringing in ear post ear infection?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an ear infection but my ear infection has gone now but very low pitched ringing in my right ear is not stopping.  Read Full »
Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptom you are experiencing is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is not always due to a sinister cause. Simple conditions of the ear like wax or ear infections both of external ear canal and middle ear can cause it. First and foremost you must know that tinnitus may be ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now