Ear Blockage

My ear is rumbling following a throat infection. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 35 years old. About 4 weeks ago, I had a viral infection of the throat and nose, which lasted for about a week. At that time, my left ear became completely blocked with fluid for at least a few days. Then, I started getting a low rumbling noise in my ear. At first, I used to get the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This problem is called as tinnitus. As you have mentioned, you started with this problem after an upper respiratory tract infection that resulted in effusion in your ear through blockage of eustachian tube. It is quite possible that your eustachian tube is still n...  Read Full »

Can you help with my blocked ear and vertigo problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had one ear plugged completely with limited to no hearing on that side. I have been to the doctor and received Amoxicillin and steroids for it as well as Ciprodex ear drops and a Bromide nasal spray but my ear is still plugged. I woke up last week with this condition and debilitat...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear bulging is mostly because of eustachian tube dysfunction and middle ear inflammation. Use nasal decongestant drops as Otrivin while lying down on your back and your head is lower than your whole body (Trendelenburg position). Chewing gums may help in opening th...  Read Full »

Why do I feel like something is blocking my hearing in the right ear?

Query: my ear(right ear) its like something is there something blocking i cant hear  Read Full »

Dr. Bruce Hudkins

Answer: Hello and welcome! Without much more information, I can only point out a few causes that come to mind. Perhaps it would help for me to break it down into two categories: 1. Acute one sided hearing loss---consider, in descending order of probability--cerumen (ear wax) impaction, Eustachian tube d...  Read Full »

How to treat chronic cough, blocked ears and popping sound in ears while swallowing?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year-old male with a weight of 90 kg and a height of 175 cms. For the last four months, I am continuously facing the following problems. Moderate sore throat, feeling like a lump in my deep throat, gastric reflux, poor digestion, a feeling of air blocked in both the ears an...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you take a picture of the back of the throat, showing details of the affected area and send it to us? Which area do you live in? Do you drive a two-wheeler on the roads of Delhi? Did this worsen during the Diwali season? Do you smoke or drink?  Read Full »

What to do for blocked ear due to excessive cough and sore throat?

Query: Hello doctor, Sometimes, I feel my left ear is blocked. It is shut when I got too much of cough and bad throat. What should I do? Please tell me.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is due to upper respiratory tract infection. We usually prescribe tablet Azee (Azithromycin) 500 mg once a day for three days along with tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast for three days. Also, syrup Alex (Phenylephrine, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, and Dex...  Read Full »

Sinus Infection Turned Into Two Ear Infections. Should I Be Worried?

Query: Hi doctor,About a week ago, I got a sinus infection which turned into two ear infections. I have now been on Z-pak as well as Flonase and steroids for four days. My left ear feels substantially better. My right ear, however, is still a little plugged, and now I am experiencing pressure in my temple ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How do you feel now? Are you better? Did the pressure in the temple and area around the right jaw resolve? The reason for those two is the block of the eustachian tube on that particular side. This is the tube that equates pressure on either side of the eardrum by c...  Read Full »

Why am I having tinnitus after hearing something very loud?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I had an event that impacted my hearing. I threw a heavy chain into the metal bucket of a backhoe. The clank was quite loud and gave me instant ringing in my ears. I then had to use the backhoe, which is also loud, but not deafeningly so, for about 20 minutes. Now my ears feel ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very common that people feel certain blockage of the ears after getting exposed to loud sounds. It is called fatigue to ear. The hair cells get fatigued due to loud sounds. It also indicates sensitivity towards hearing loss. It is recommended to avoid a noisy s...  Read Full »

What should I do for blocked ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I want some advice on my blocked ears. My ears are also paining since 7 days. Since last week, I have been suffering from cough and cold. As both the ears are blocked, I have been suffering a hearing problem too. I think wax is stuck inside my ears. I have been using an ear drops twic...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: HiWelcome to icliniq.com.I understand your concern, and most likely you are suffering from eustachian tube catarrh. This is a clinical condition arises due to eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube is a tubular connection between the middle ear and throat. Main function of this is to maint...  Read Full »

My ear pain and block got relieved after drainage. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been very sick with a cold for the past five days and just yesterday I got an ear infection. It did not hurt that much but my ear was so blocked that it was highly uncomfortable. Today I noticed some drainage, which I immediately looked up and saw that it meant a broken eardrum...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Because of cold, you must be having some ear infection as well. Due to recurrent cold, your eustachian tube is blocked and caused reduce ventilation of ear and hence there was pus formation in the ear. This continues pus formation has broken the tympanic membrane and ca...  Read Full »

My right ear is slightly blocked. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, Two days back, I had a severe pain in my right ear. One fine evening, the pain went severe starting from the head till the chin. I had visited an ENT doctor who removed a lot of earwax through EUM suction procedure. Since then, I got relief from the pain. But, I feel my right ear is s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been having an ear block even after the removal of earwax, then probably there is some eustachian tube catarrh. Such a catarrh is likely after an episode of cold. The tube connects the ear to the upper part of the throat. The tube drains whatever fluid is p...  Read Full »