Ear Blockage

How to treat chronic cough, blocked ears and popping sound in ears while swallowing?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66-year-old male with a weight of 90 kg and a height of 175 cms. For the last four months, I am continuously facing the following problems. Moderate sore throat, feeling like a lump in my deep throat, gastric reflux, poor digestion, a feeling of air blocked in both the ears an...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you take a picture of the back of the throat, showing details of the affected area and send it to us? Which area do you live in? Do you drive a two-wheeler on the roads of Delhi? Did this worsen during the Diwali season? Do you smoke or drink?  Read Full »

What to do for blocked ear due to excessive cough and sore throat?

Query: Hello doctor, Sometimes, I feel my left ear is blocked. It is shut when I got too much of cough and bad throat. What should I do? Please tell me.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is due to upper respiratory tract infection. We usually prescribe tablet Azee (Azithromycin) 500 mg once a day for three days along with tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast for three days. Also, syrup Alex (Phenylephrine, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, and Dex...  Read Full »

Sinus Infection Turned Into Two Ear Infections. Should I Be Worried?

Query: Hi doctor,About a week ago, I got a sinus infection which turned into two ear infections. I have now been on Z-pak as well as Flonase and steroids for four days. My left ear feels substantially better. My right ear, however, is still a little plugged, and now I am experiencing pressure in my temple ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How do you feel now? Are you better? Did the pressure in the temple and area around the right jaw resolve? The reason for those two is the block of the eustachian tube on that particular side. This is the tube that equates pressure on either side of the eardrum by c...  Read Full »

Why am I having tinnitus after hearing something very loud?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I had an event that impacted my hearing. I threw a heavy chain into the metal bucket of a backhoe. The clank was quite loud and gave me instant ringing in my ears. I then had to use the backhoe, which is also loud, but not deafeningly so, for about 20 minutes. Now my ears feel ...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very common that people feel certain blockage of the ears after getting exposed to loud sounds. It is called fatigue to ear. The hair cells get fatigued due to loud sounds. It also indicates sensitivity towards hearing loss. It is recommended to avoid a noisy s...  Read Full »

What should I do for blocked ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I want some advice on my blocked ears. My ears are also paining since 7 days. Since last week, I have been suffering from cough and cold. As both the ears are blocked, I have been suffering a hearing problem too. I think wax is stuck inside my ears. I have been using an ear drops twic...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: HiWelcome to icliniq.com.I understand your concern, and most likely you are suffering from eustachian tube catarrh. This is a clinical condition arises due to eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube is a tubular connection between the middle ear and throat. Main function of this is to maint...  Read Full »

My ear pain and block got relieved after drainage. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been very sick with a cold for the past five days and just yesterday I got an ear infection. It did not hurt that much but my ear was so blocked that it was highly uncomfortable. Today I noticed some drainage, which I immediately looked up and saw that it meant a broken eardrum...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Because of cold, you must be having some ear infection as well. Due to recurrent cold, your eustachian tube is blocked and caused reduce ventilation of ear and hence there was pus formation in the ear. This continues pus formation has broken the tympanic membrane and ca...  Read Full »

My right ear is slightly blocked. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, Two days back, I had a severe pain in my right ear. One fine evening, the pain went severe starting from the head till the chin. I had visited an ENT doctor who removed a lot of earwax through EUM suction procedure. Since then, I got relief from the pain. But, I feel my right ear is s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have been having an ear block even after the removal of earwax, then probably there is some eustachian tube catarrh. Such a catarrh is likely after an episode of cold. The tube connects the ear to the upper part of the throat. The tube drains whatever fluid is p...  Read Full »

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need a proper evaluation with audiogram and impedance to prevent recurrence. I suggest you tablet Allercet L (Levocetirizine) one at night with Nasivion nasal drops two drops twice daily for five days. Please review with reports. Revert with reports to an ENT otolary...  Read Full »

Why is there pain in my ear even after using ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a mild ear infection. I went to see a doctor as the ear started draining clear fluid. The doctor said the draining was only on the outside of the ear. She prescribed Ciprodex ear drops. I am on the second day of taking them and I just woke up in the middle of the night with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Narayanrao Rathod

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, it is not so, as you have an infection in the outer part of the ear. It is called as otitis externa. In this condition, there will be a severe aching pain in the outer ear. The cause of otitis externa may be due to a humid environment, any micro-injuries, or any ...  Read Full »

Do I need to visit a doctor for ear block issue?

Query: Hi doctor,I just tried an ear wax cleaner and it just completely blocked my ears. I am having an ear block issue even after swimming. Is there anything I can do at home? Or do I need to visit a doctor?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The wax has absorbed the cleaning fluid and got swollen blocking the ear canal. It is common. The block is transient and you keep putting the drops as advised by the ENT doctor. Usually we put drops for 4 to 5 times daily for five to six days and then go back ...  Read Full »