Q. Can mold exposure cause an ear infection?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Published on Sep 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a fluid buildup behind both the ear drums and that his ears needed a cleaning. So, I scheduled that. Early this year, his right ear drum burst and he had a yellowish-green discharge. A month before that, we had hired a mold inspector because I was falling sick more often than usual. I found the mold and had it tested and it was a Chaetomium mold. It was growing right above the intake vent for my heat and air. Now, he is scheduled for surgery. Could the mold have caused this? And who do I contact to have a testing done?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Your kid has a serous otitis media. The mild conductive hearing loss is due to this. In kids the most common cause is adenotonsillitis.
  1. My advice is to get a nasopharynx lateral view X-ray done for adenoids and send me the pictures.
  2. Give him an oral decongestant syrup and nasal decongestant drops.
  3. Keep the ears dry.
  4. Also, give him steam inhalation. This will help open the eustachian tube blockage and will drain the middle ear secretions, hence correcting the loss.
  5. If the adenoids are found to be too enlarged, they should be operated along with myringotomy.

Any further questions are always welcome.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

How Does Salt Water Gargling Cure Tonsillitis? How Vaporizer And Medicated Inhalant Helps?

Query: Hi doctor, Does air humidifier help with tonsillitis? How would salt water gargling cure tonsillitis?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Air humidifiers are of various types and not all of them are useful for someone suffering from tonsillitis. And also, tonsillitis requires gargling of warm water mixed with salt. Salt water gargling helps reduce pain, inflammation and infection in the throat by the foll...  Read Full

I have serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as your bronchitis is concerned, I advise my patients to avoid smoking and take steam inhalation twice a day. I also advise syrup Phensedyl BR (Ambroxol and Guaifenesin) 2.5 ml twice a day for five days and tablet Allegra M one tablet at night for five days. If ...  Read Full

What are the signs of tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My 15 year old daughter always gets sick. When I take her to the doctor, every time he used to say it as viral infection. This is the fifth time in a year she has been sick with the same symptoms. Her symptoms are cough, low fever, sore throat and yellowish white colored mucus covering h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me first enlighten you about tonsils. Tonsils are a pair of soft tissues located on either side of your pharynx. They are lymphoid tissue and play an important role in immune system to fight infections and act as first line defense for throat infections. ...  Read Full