Q. I have ringing in ear post ear infection. Why?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
Published on May 29, 2019

I had an ear infection but my ear infection has gone now but very low pitched ringing in my right ear is not stopping.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The symptom you are experiencing is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is not always due to a sinister cause. Simple conditions of the ear like wax or ear infections both of external ear canal and middle ear can cause it. First and foremost you must know that tinnitus may be aggravated by apprehension and anxiety. You have to make a conscious effort to ignore it. Most of the times, it does not need any treatment. So be assured most likely to be a benign condition. I would like to know the duration of symptoms and whether it is unilateral or bilateral. Are there any symptoms of hearing loss and giddiness? Did you have any earache and prior history of upper respiratory tract infection? you may do a hearing test which will give us further insights. For now, you may just wait and ignore it. It might resolve in a few days.

| 

Thank you very much and most appreciated. I feel it is going a bit very very low now. I do hope it will go.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is good that your symptoms are improving. If it recurs or worsens you may do a PTA.

| 
hi i feel a very low picthed buzzing in my right ear especially night time my gp said there is no ear wax but still low pitched ringing is not going to stop what can i do and what is the meaning of pta

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
# Hello Naseem.. the buzzing sound you hear is called tinnitius.. It can occur due to wax,middle ear infections, or in certain inner ear conditions or due to nerve weakness.. at times it requires no treatment some behavioral therapy .. Pta or pure tone audiogram can give us clue about any condition in middle or inner ear

| 

Does tinnitus go away on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, Two months ago, I developed tinnitus which is not yet corrected. At that time, I had water trapped in my right ear but now my ear blockage problem is resolved but my tinnitus problem is not resolved. After this, I went to an ENT and he told me I have a swelling in my left ear. Now he ...  Read Full »

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »