iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)ear painI have had ear pain post-cleaning ear wax. What is to be done?

What are the treatments for ear pain when ear drops and pain killers do not work?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At January 21, 2023
Reviewed AtOctober 12, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have been having stinging ear pain, most likely caused due to an injury while cleaning ear wax. As a result the doctor first prescribed ear drops and pain killers which did not work. I have resorted to amoxicillin which I have taken after lunch today. Should I wait for the results to see or am I taking the wrong approach? The nearest good doctor is thousands of kilometers away. Please help me. Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

What dose of Amoxicillin are you taking? If you are taking the right dose at the right time as per your weight, then it is fine. But otherwise, under-dosage or over-dosage can do more harm than good. Which ear drops are you using? You should use only antibiotic drops and not wax drops. Keep your ears strictly dry. Let us know if there is any dizziness, ear fullness, or decreased hearing. If there is discharge, do not insert earbuds and clean them. Let me know, and I shall help you carefully remove the debris without causing more harm. Please write back to us with all the details so we can help you. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N
Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

ear injuryear pain

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy