Q. Amoxicillin is not helping my tonsillar enlargement with pus. Why?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2020

I am a 37-year-old female. For about a month, my tonsil (left side) has looked enlarged and irregular. If I press on it I will sometimes see a little pus (or white fluid) coming out from behind it. It occasionally feels just a tiny bit scratchy. I did see our urgent care and they prescribed Amoxicillin. Finishing the script (875 mg for 10 days) did not rectify. I have an in-person ENT appointment within two weeks. However, with everything going on, I am nervous that I would not get in. I would also just love some reassurance if this is not wildly abnormal.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Tonsillar surfaces are irregular normally due to the presence of crypts. The tonsil does not appear to be grossly enlarged, however, a better picture showing both tonsils would be of help.

Pus discharge from tonsils can happen in both acute and chronic tonsillitis. However, in acute, there will be fever, sore throat, dysphagia, etc., and in chronic, there will be vague irritation in the throat, recurrent sore throat, and bad breath, or halitosis. In either case, since it is exuding pus you need a systemic antibiotic as you have already taken. You also need topical antiseptics like Chlorhexidine or Betadine gargles, plenty of fluids and analgesics for pain.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

What is the treatment for recurrent tonsillitis and tonsil stones?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from recurring tonsillitis since I was a child. I was told at one point that if I was to be diagnosed with tonsillitis again, I would have to schedule to get my tonsils removed. However, I have had it quite a few times since. I also suffer from frequent tonsil s...  Read Full »

Why am I having recurrent tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having fever and cold for the past few days. I take medicine Nimsulide Plus. The fever has gone. But the problem is that I am having tonsillitis and it is treated by many doctors but I do not know why but after sometime of treatment they happened to me again. I do not know why. Plea...  Read Full »

When Should Tonsils Be Removed in Adults?

Article Overview: Tonsils are removed in cases of sleep apnea or recurrent episodes of tonsillitis. Learn about the indications, best methods, and complications of tonsillectomy. Read Article

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Tonsillectomy is one of the most popular operations in the otorhinolaryngology field. The most frequently asked questions about tonsillectomy are: When is tonsillectomy indicated? Does tonsillectomy affect our immunity? What is the best method for tonsillectomy? What are tonsillectomy complications...  Read Article