Q. Amoxicillin is not helping my tonsillar enlargement with pus. Why?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2020

I am a 37-year-old female. For about a month, my tonsil (left side) has looked enlarged and irregular. If I press on it I will sometimes see a little pus (or white fluid) coming out from behind it. It occasionally feels just a tiny bit scratchy. I did see our urgent care and they prescribed Amoxicillin. Finishing the script (875 mg for 10 days) did not rectify. I have an in-person ENT appointment within two weeks. However, with everything going on, I am nervous that I would not get in. I would also just love some reassurance if this is not wildly abnormal.

#

I have seen the pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Tonsillar surfaces are irregular normally due to the presence of crypts. The tonsil does not appear to be grossly enlarged, however, a better picture showing both tonsils would be of help.

Pus discharge from tonsils can happen in both acute and chronic tonsillitis. However, in acute, there will be fever, sore throat, dysphagia, etc., and in chronic, there will be vague irritation in the throat, recurrent sore throat, and bad breath, or halitosis. In either case, since it is exuding pus you need a systemic antibiotic as you have already taken. You also need topical antiseptics like Chlorhexidine or Betadine gargles, plenty of fluids and analgesics for pain.

|