Q. What can I do to relieve the ear pain that appeared after I used ear scoop?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

I am 18 years old. Last night I used an ear scoop and scratched the inside of my ear too hard. I saw a little blood. It was a little sore, but now 24 hours later there is an unbearable pain in that ear. I could not sleep. I cannot access to the hospital until late tomorrow. Can I do anything to relieve the pain? Please assure if it is not going to make me deaf.

#

• Do not put anything inside the ear including ear drops and water should not go in while bathing.
  • Next, do you have Paracetamol at home? It is otherwise known as Acetaminophen and Tylenol. You may take that according to your weight.
  • Say your weight is 50 kg then you may take a tablet of 650 mg of paracetamol thrice daily. This will relieve the pain till you go to a doctor.
  • One needs to see inside the ear using an endoscope or otoscope. My guess is that the eardrum might have got abraded or perforated due to the scooping.
  • Since you are a young healthy individual, your drum will heal. The eardrum perforation may heal naturally if the damage is small. Otherwise, you may need to undergo a small procedure called tympanoplasty.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-otolaryngologist

|