iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersGeneral Medicineear painI have pain in my ear lobes when I put ear drops. Why?

What could cause pain in the ear lobes on putting ear drops?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Aditi Gupta

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 5, 2024
Reviewed AtJune 7, 2024

Patient's Query

I think I have a swimmer's ear. I have been swimming in the pool a lot, and am going for five days of swimming. I brought cotton swimmer's ear alcohol drops and ear plugs. But when I put the ear drops, it hurt when touched on the outside. When I wiggled my earlobe, it felt like fire for about five minutes, even though I immediately got them out, should I continue using it?

Answered by Dr. Aditi Gupta

I appreciate you signing up on icliniq.com.

You now have exclusive access to expert medical opinions.

You seem to have encountered an ear infection that could be serious if left untreated without antibiotics. I recommend a course of Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin 500 mg and Clavulanic acid 125 mg) if you are above 14 years of age. This tablet is taken twice a day after food for seven days till completed) Consult your doctor and take the medicine accordingly. You should not skip or miss even a single pill till the end, even if you feel better sooner. Alongside this, please take any anti-inflammatory such as Paracetamol or Ibuprofen (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) twice a day for three days so you are pain-free meanwhile and to help recovery. If you do not feel better within three days after starting this, or if you develop bleeding or fever, please visit an ENT specialist (otorhinolaryngologist) urgently.

I hope that you get your answer.

Please let me know if you want some help.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Aditi Gupta
Dr. Aditi Gupta

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy