Ear Infection

How to care for my son suffering from ear infection with blisters in the eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, My son suffers from an ear infection for two weeks. It causes pain to him. He does not have any weeping fluid and he is taking antibiotics. He does not have a fever and the eardrum appears to be in turquoise color with blisters. It seems to be pulsating. We went to the hospital three tim...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your photos seem to be hazy (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But it is fine. I can see some accumulation of fluids behind the eardrum. Please mention the antibiotics and analgesics taken. As he is an epileptic patient, there are some prohibited drugs fo...  Read Full »

Why do I have white, foul-smelling ear discharge since childhood?

Query: Hi doctor,I have an ear discharge from childhood. I have a white liquid coming out often with a bad smell. I cannot hear clearly. It is present in my left ear. Sometimes, I have itchiness. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an ear discharge with a foul smell from childhood. You need to do HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) of the temporal bone to rule out cholesteatoma. For now, you can take the following treatment. You can take a tablet containing Ciplox 500 mg (Ciproflox...  Read Full »

How to prevent recurrent ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ear infection a year before. I now have the same symptoms (bleeding from the nose and pressure in the ear). I used Neomycin and Polymyxin B sulfates, and Hydrocortisone optic solutions ear drops, but it looks like it is not enough for five days. Can you prescribe me or add an...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to be worried about nothing as this is a very common entity that we come across and is treatable. You have probably developed an acute infection of the eardrum due to eustachian tube catarrh, and that is why there is severe pain. You can consider the following...  Read Full »

How is an ear infection treated?

Query: Hi doctor,I have an ear infection in the left ear after two days when I started taking medications for it. My right ear started to have the same pain as my left ears. I am taking Ibuprofen 800 mg along with Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone otic suspension for five days now. On a scale of one to ten, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Radhika Shukla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have otitis externa. It is an infection affecting the outer ear. It is the part of the ear that you clean with buds. The cause is trauma and breach of the outermost layer of the skin causes the bacteria to enter the ear resulting in infection. It is pa...  Read Full »

How to treat yellowish ear discharge in a 10-month-old baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 10 months old baby is crying continuously without sleeping. She is not drinking milk and is so irritated. When we checked her ear, we notice yellowish liquid crystals in the right ear. How to treat her? Please help me.   Read Full »

Dr. Oliver Chiapco

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. It is possible that your baby could be suffering from an ear infection. The yellowish-brownish discharge collection in her right ear could mean that her eardrum had ruptured and fluid or pus is flowing out and collecting in the e...  Read Full »

Why do I get lightheaded while seeing a spinning object?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 37 years old. I had a Vitamin D3 deficiency with back pain five years ago when I was working abroad. I came back and did physiotherapy and Ayurvedic treatment. Things got better in the next two years time, but still, I need to take care while lifting weights as I have slight back p...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have developed thought in your subconscious mind like things will spin in the head if you see them going around. Some people are scared of heights, rain, etc. It is similar to that. And if we suspect vertigo. Vertigo usually occurs when fluid moves from one canal ...  Read Full »

I pooped a pimple in the ear. Will it lead to ear infection?

Query: I had a pimple in my ear but it was popped yesterday. However I cleaned my ear with a q tip today and was a little rough with it because I forgot the pimple was there. There was some yellowish/clear juice coming from the pimple while I did this. Will I get an ear infection? I used a q tip to clean t...  Read Full »

Dr. Shama Naaz

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, welcome to icliniq, Please be gentle while cleansing your ear, unnecessary trauma can increase chances of getting an infection. You should clean the area with cotton and Povidone iodine (mix 1 part of Povidone with 4 parts of water). After cleaning, apply an antibiotic cream over it very gentl...  Read Full »

Is my ear infection due to over masturbation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I have tinnitus for the last two weeks. I am taking tablets, but there is no improvement. I do not know the cause. The doctor, whom I visited, said that my nose hole is rooted in such a way that my ear gets infection like that. Also, my ear has pus inside. I think...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Here, I would like to say that masturbation is not related to your ear problem. Probably, you are having otorrhea (ear discharge) with hearing loss and tinnitus. You are advised to take ear drop containing antibiotic, antifungal and steroids alo...  Read Full »

What is the cause of my ear pain and discharge?

Query: My ear is hurting and always wet when i clean it with cotton buds. I felt my ear is hurting specifically if i move my jaw also i feel it a bit swollen and has a water inside.   Read Full »

Dr. Radhika Shukla

Answer: Hello, ear infection can be of the outer ear (otitis externa) or the middle ear (otitis media). Otitis media involves having a ruptured ear drum. The best way to confirm if you have a ruptured eardrum or not is to put your drops in your ear and see if you can feel them in your throat. if you can ...  Read Full »

How to manage an ear infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old with a weight of 62 kg and a height of 5.4 feet. I had a history of thyroid goiter. I also have a middle ear infection. My ear is swollen, and have difficulty in chewing with mild fever. Whenever I use buds in the ear, this problem starts. I have dry, itchy, and flaky p...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you shown to any ENT specialist who had told you that you have a middle ear infection? If yes, you can share the details. I want to know your ear findings written in the prescription. Based on that, only I can come to any diagnosis. I am enabling free follow up. If...  Read Full »