Q. What causes stains in upper teeth of a baby?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Aug 16, 2019

My baby girl is 17 months old and started showing some stains on her top teeth. They also look a bit transparent in the part not stained. She is on Formula milk for a few months and was breastfed before that and also was late in eating. I am just worried that those stains might be a sign of a health issue or are they just milk bacteria accumulating.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

The stains seem to be the onset of early childhood caries which usually starts on the four upper front teeth due to improper brushing (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Try to brush at least two times after feeding. If possible, wipe the front teeth after every feeding using wet cotton to remove all sticky milk from the teeth. As the babies usually drink milk in lying down posture, milk accumulates between upper lips and front four teeth causing milk sticking to them for a long time. It is better if you can go to a dentist and get a fluoride varnish to prevent the breakdown of those teeth in the near future.

| 

My 14 months old son's top four teeth look rough and are crumbling. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a very concerned father of a 14 months old boy. His first six teeth came in, but the top four teeth look quite rough and are crumbling. His bottom two teeth seem fine. He is still almost exclusively breastfed, as he does not like to eat food, and seldom opens his mouth. I believe...  Read Full »

My 2 year old son's teeth are exposed and are sensitive. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 2 year old son, who was born through a c-section. One out of his six teeth is actively disintegrating. The enamel has come off, and the inner part of the tooth is exposed and sensitive to cold drinks. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dental Schedule For Children To Prevent Future Dental Problems

Article Overview: This article emphasizes that, adequate care of the milk teeth till the child reaches 15 years will reduce many possible dental problems and save you money later!!! Read Article

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Pedodontist

All the dental problems which are found in an average human being can be prevented if proper timely intervention is done. Every child should be made familiar with a dentist at an early age and not just when he is having pain or discomfort. A child should be brought to a dentist for the f...  Read Article

Ask a Pedodontist Now