Q. I have eating disorder. Is there any surgery to reduce and maintain my weight?

Dr. Nadiminty Raghuvamsi
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2020

I have a serious eating disorder issue for six years. I never vomit or work out a lot after I eat a lot of high calories food, like cakes, donuts, chocolate, ice cream, chips and so forth. In these six years, my weight was up and down repeatedly between 100 lbs and 190 lbs. I have been looking up to this kind of surgery for a period of time and I know it would have some side effects on my body. However, I am tired of dieting and working out, as well as eating too much afterward. It is so frustrating. I need this surgery to help me get rid of this pressure. Therefore, I can live a normal life.

#

Surgery for obesity is considered as a treatment option for patients with a BMI (body mass index) of 40 kg/m2 or greater who have tried but failed an adequate exercise and diet program and those with obesity-related comorbid conditions, such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus, hyperlipidemia, and obstructive sleep apnea, etc. It has few long-term side effects, such as a possible need for reoperation, gallbladder disease, and malabsorption.

More importantly, you will have to still control over eating and exercise even after surgery. I would not recommend surgery. It would be better to consult a psychiatrist to help you get over your eating disorder and naturally help with your weight issues.

|