Q. How to get over the negative experiences I had in the past?

Answered by
Dr. Mascarenhas Lisa Barros
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am an 18 year old female. I have been feeling low. I feel sad, irritated and angry most of the times. It has been going on and off this way for the past five years. There are certain eating issues too. I do not feel like eating. I do not get hungry. I just eat one meal a day. And sometimes when I do feel like eating, I do not because I get scared I will put on weight. All this started five years back. I was in class nine when my section got changed. So, my grades started dropping, and my relationships with friends, teachers, and my parents became worse. It was like everybody hated me. My mom thought I was a burden. I got very very jittery at that time.

Once, I was at my table studying, when my dad came from behind and suddenly pulled me out of the chair and slapped me. I got so scared I wet my pants. After that, sometimes I became very jumpy. I would freak out even when I heard the sound of a door opening. Although I am not so scared now, I still feel low. I recently met a counselor. She advised me to talk to a psychiatrist and she mentioned the possibility of depression or PTSD. Is it possible that I could be undergoing either of these? Which of these two do I have? And, what should I do now?



Welcome to

You seem to have gone through a lot. From what you have told me, you seem to have had features of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and could be having symptoms of depression and eating disorder.

My advice to you would be to personally visit a psychiatrist for a holistic treatment as it is also affecting your eating and could have other health issues related.

You need a thorough assessment and many sessions because you seem to have a lot of stressors.

You may require medicines and also need supportive psychotherapy with cognitive behavior therapy to help you deal with your issues.

Also, maintain a journal and pen down your thoughts and fears. Writing will help you feel little better.

Do deep breathing exercise like pranayama. It would also help your mood.

Also, since you are not eating well, you may need nutritional supplements like vitamin B complex.

Keep yourself busy with studies or hobbies.

Kindly visit a psychiatrist.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How can a person with PTSD, depression and anxiety be treated?

Hello doctor,What is your recommendation for someone with PTSD, depression, and anxiety ... If a person is suffering from PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), depression and anxiety, they will p...   Read full

Am I having a heart problem or PTSD?

It was a scary experience which haunts me now causing anxiety whenever I notice my heart rate go up ... I am not quite sure whether it is just anxiety or if my heart may actually have problems .....   Read full

My father is having negative thoughts and vivid dreams. Why?

.. may have PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). It is less likely to be due to glioma. The symptoms of a vision problem and memory loss are due to gliomas. You can give him a small dose of antidepressants and Benzodiazepine for the sleep disturban...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.