Q. How to get over the negative experiences I had in the past?

Dr. Lisa Barros Mascarenhas
Published on Sep 03, 2017

I am an 18 year old female. I have been feeling low. I feel sad, irritated and angry most of the times. It has been going on and off this way for the past five years. There are certain eating issues too. I do not feel like eating. I do not get hungry. I just eat one meal a day. And sometimes when I do feel like eating, I do not because I get scared I will put on weight. All this started five years back. I was in class nine when my section got changed. So, my grades started dropping, and my relationships with friends, teachers, and my parents became worse. It was like everybody hated me. My mom thought I was a burden. I got very very jittery at that time.

Once, I was at my table studying, when my dad came from behind and suddenly pulled me out of the chair and slapped me. I got so scared I wet my pants. After that, sometimes I became very jumpy. I would freak out even when I heard the sound of a door opening. Although I am not so scared now, I still feel low. I recently met a counselor. She advised me to talk to a psychiatrist and she mentioned the possibility of depression or PTSD. Is it possible that I could be undergoing either of these? Which of these two do I have? And, what should I do now?

#

You seem to have gone through a lot. From what you have told me, you seem to have had features of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and could be having symptoms of depression and eating disorder.

My advice to you would be to personally visit a psychiatrist for a holistic treatment as it is also affecting your eating and could have other health issues related.

You need a thorough assessment and many sessions because you seem to have a lot of stressors.

You may require medicines and also need supportive psychotherapy with cognitive behavior therapy to help you deal with your issues.

Also, maintain a journal and pen down your thoughts and fears. Writing will help you feel little better.

Do deep breathing exercise like pranayama. It would also help your mood.

Also, since you are not eating well, you may need nutritional supplements like vitamin B complex.

Keep yourself busy with studies or hobbies.

Kindly visit a psychiatrist.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

What can be done to control PTSD and bipolar disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I have PTSD and bipolar disorder type 11 and it is getting harder for me to function daily. I have already seen my health care provider. For this, she gave me a prescription and I still have the manic episodes.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. I would like to inform you that most of the psychiatric medications take too long to show effects on individuals. Since you were prescribed Risperidone just a week back, there is no need to wait for more time. Most pat...  Read Full

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every coin h...  Read Article

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article