Are my lips raw and swollen due to allergy from tooth fillings?

Q. Are my lips raw and swollen due to allergy from tooth fillings?

Answered by
Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 20, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am having lots of problems with my mouth, and the VA clinic is struggling to help me. I am a 36-year-old male and have no significant health issues besides this. I am really struggling because my lips are constantly raw, peeling, and swollen. They also burn and hurt almost always. I have one amalgam filling in my mouth from 15 or longer years ago. I also have a bit of resin or composite fillings in my mouth. I am trying to make connections and remember. I had a bad skin reaction to an artificial football field turf a few years ago, and it was where the plastic field pellets were stuck to my skin. I also had path testing done at the VA and they found I was allergic to Sesquiterpene lactones, cobalt, and nickel, as well as other metals likely. Is it possible the materials in my mouth are keeping me in a constant state of misery?



Welcome to

I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If I just look at your lips, it looks like severe cheilitis. Considering the history, I would like to rule out oral lichen planus. Amalgam is known to cause lichen planus. Check-in your mouth for a whitish-lacy pattern. I suggest you meet your dermatologist for a detailed oral examination.

Warm compresses will be helpful till you meet your doctor. Avoid licking your lips; saliva further aggravates the condition. I suggest using Bioline jelly, apply to lips four times a day. These are all symptomatic treatments, not specific. If the diagnosis of lichen planus is confirmed after a detailed examination from your doctor, then you will be prescribed topical Tacrolimus, topical Corticosteroids and oral Corticosteroids if needed.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Does oral or genital herpes show symptoms like bloody blisters in mouth?

.. may be oral lichen planus which is an autoimmune issue which is treatable. Or this can be aphthous stomatitis which are oral ulcers and they are also treatable. They flare due to low immunity of any reason, low iron in the blood, B12 deficiency, stress   Read full

Kindly tell me about the cut in the mouth of a patient with lichen planus.

.. you are referring to seems to be due to cheek bite (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I need to know if there is any pain in the cut or pain on taking any specific food or liquid. I need to know when where you diagnosed with lichen planu   Read full

Why do my lips get tender and swollen every two months?

Your clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is more for folliculitis over the chin area with cheilitis over the lips ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.