Q. Are my lips raw and swollen due to allergy from tooth fillings?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

I am having lots of problems in my mouth and the VA clinic is struggling to help me. I am a 36 year old male and have no significant health issues besides this. I am really struggling because my lips are constantly raw, peeling, and swollen. They also burn and hurt almost always. I have one amalgam filling in my mouth from 15 or longer years ago. I also have a bit of resin or composite fillings in my mouth. I am trying to make connections and remember. I had a bad skin reaction to an artificial football field turf a few years ago and it was where the plastic field pellets were stuck to my skin. I also had path testing done at the VA and they found I was allergic to Sesquiterpene lactones, cobalt, and nickel, as well as other metals likely. Is it possible the materials in my mouth are keeping me in a constant state of misery?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I saw your clinical picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If I just look at your lips, it looks like severe cheilitis.

Considering the history, I would like to rule out oral lichen planus. Amalgam is known to cause lichen planus. Check in your mouth for a whitish lacy pattern.

I suggest you meet your dermatologist for detailed oral examination.

Warm compresses will be helpful till you meet your doctor.

Avoid licking your lips, saliva further aggravates the condition.

Use Bioline jelly, apply to lips four times a day.

These are all symptomatic treatment, not specific.

If the diagnosis of lichen planus is confirmed after detailed examination from your doctor, then you will be prescribed topical Tacrolimus, topical Corticosteroids and oral Corticosteroids if needed.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|