Q. The skin on my lips are dry and turn dark as if they are dead. What is my condition called?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

My lips have been dry, and the skin is senseless and tight. I cannot smile or move them. Eating has become a problem because the corners are cracked. I am not using any products, as they only seem to make it worse. They peel off after many days, but the new skin also drys out and again becomes senseless and tight. The skin turns dark as if they are dead. What is my condition called? I am taking Vitamin B complex too. I have consulted many doctors, but any dermatologist within two hours drive has ten weeks waiting list.

#

• Your condition is called eczematous cheilitis. But, still please upload 2 to 3 photos of the area, so that is easy to diagnose the condition.
  • Try applying topically Mometasone cream mixed with some moisturizing lotion, 2 to 3 times a day for two weeks.
  • Avoid licking your lips. And avoid exposure to sun, dry atmosphere, and cold temperature.
  • Keep your body well hydrated.
  • Eat a balanced diet.
  • Take multivitamin A to Z, once daily for a month.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have had this going on for over a month, and it started out as dry lips. I have tried Hyderm a hydrocortisone cream, but my lips were not happy about that. I am having a hard time eating a normal balanced diet, as I cannot open my mouth with it being painful. My skin seems to be very sensitive to a lot of creams too, as Cicalfate was itching a little. Is any cream supposed to itch a little? Which mometasone cream and moisturizer do you recommend?

#

• You have cheilitis of lips. It can be due to sun exposure or may be due to some other reasons.
  • Try doing the following.
  1. Apply Fucibet (combination of Betamethasone and Fusidic acid) or any other steroid creams, like Clobetasol, Mometasone, etc.
  2. Keep the lip moisturized, use any cold cream or any good moisturizer frequently on the lip. You can also use any good lip balm.
  3. Use sunscreen over the face as well as on lips whenever you go out. Avoid sun exposure.
  4. Avoid contact with soap or other chemicals and cosmetics.
  5. If itching is there, then take Levocetirizine 10 mg once in the night.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|