Dry Lips

What can be done for dry lips with itchiness and redness?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been experiencing dry lips and around my mouth which is itchy and gets red. I have used all sorts of lip balm but nothing seems to be working. I drink lots of water throughout the day as well. This is getting me really worried now. Can you help, please?  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. Immediately stop using all different types of lip balms and lipsticks. Apply 1 percent of Hydrocortisone ointment and apply two times a day for seven days. After that, apply only Petroleum jelly or Vaseline twice daily for the next seven d...  Read Full »

I have dryness in and around lips after rosacea treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from rosacea. So went under proper treatment but now around my lips area, there is dryness. Though I used all the creams on my face, I did not apply creams on the lips area. So is it because of that?  Read Full »

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is perioral dermatitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). A type of eczema that occurs around the oral cavity. The most common reason is the steroid that causes it whether they are present in products we use on face or from the treatment we do. Ye...  Read Full »

Suffering from severely chapped lips. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27-year-old, 5 foot, and relatively an athletic female. I have been suffering from some pretty severe chapped lips. I realized this was common because of the cold weather and dry heat from the furnace, so I was treating them with a two-step process with intensive lip moistener. Ab...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chapped or cracked lips is usually a common complaint in winters. From your clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your lip cracking does appear significant. Applying Vaseline and moisturizer are good remedy options. But given recurrences, you ne...  Read Full »

Why are my lips dry and black at the edges?

Query: Hi doctor, My lips are dry and black at the edges. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case you are a smoker, stop smoking. I suggest using Melanite cream daily only on the lips. Take a thin slice of lemon, sprinkle a bit of sugar on top and rub it on your lips. It will exfoliate dead cells, so new and fresh skin can appear. Use this remedy daily for a f...  Read Full »

I get stomach pain whenever I eat. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week, I took an Albendazole tablet for worms. This week, I had a burger. From yesterday, my stomach is upset. If I eat any food, my stomach begins to hurt. I am unable to eat anything, and this is causing me to feel bloated. My urine appears dark yellow and my lips are very dry. P...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This appears to be a case of acidity and gastritis, precipitated by oily and spicy food. You should avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet. Take a walk after your meal, instead of taking rest. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals. Have regular sleep habits and a...  Read Full »

I have an infection on my lips. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have an infection on my lips. I honestly do not know what it is. Two weeks ago, I got tests for syphilis and chlamydia, which were negative. Since then, I have had a sore on my lip. But I notice that when I saw this sore with a flashlight, my lip there was yellow. There is no pain. I h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is not an infection. This is an ulcer formed probably due to irritation and excoriation due to repeated licking. Your whole lower lip is erythematous, which indicates your lip is g...  Read Full »

I suddenly developed three pimples on my temple. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up today with three pimples on my left temples. It is not hurting, but just scary to look at. I am due for my periods. Can it be because of that? I do get pimples, but never in bundles. Seeing three of them popping up all at once, is freaking me out.  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be a premenstrual flare of acne. I suggest you wash your face twice daily. Use Saslic DS (Salicylic acid topical) face wash in the morning, and Acnedap plus (Dapsone) gel at night. Hope it helps. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to c...  Read Full »

Why do my lips get tender and swollen every two months?

Query: Hi doctor,I would like to give an insight into my problem, with started ending of last year. I noticed that I have some dry skin on my lower lip and a very small scab just underneath it. I ignored the same and thought it is due to winter. Five months back, I had a tender lower lip, which eventually ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is more for folliculitis over the chin area with cheilitis over the lips. From your image, the lesions do not appear herpetic at present. The investigations also support the same. Also, the repeated use...  Read Full »

The skin on my lips are dry and turn dark as if they are dead. What is my condition called?

Query: Hello doctor,My lips have been dry, and the skin is senseless and tight. I cannot smile or move them. Eating has become a problem because the corners are cracked. I am not using any products, as they only seem to make it worse. They peel off after many days, but the new skin also drys out and again...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Your condition is called eczematous cheilitis. But, still please upload 2 to 3 photos of the area, so that is easy to diagnose the condition.Try applying topically Mometasone cream mixed with some moisturizing lotion, 2 to 3 times a day for two weeks.Avoid licking your ...  Read Full »