Q. Can I take anxiety medicines in pregnancy?

Dr. Prashanth

I am 18 weeks pregnant and have symptoms of severe anxiety and insomnia. Can I take anxiety medicine in pregnancy? Please help. I used to take Melzap 0.25 mg and Etilam 0.25 mg.

Dr. Prashanth

Psychiatry
#

Melzap (Clonazepam) and Etilam (Etizolam) which is used for anxiety are not really safe during pregnancy. But, the benefits of taking the medicine, have to be weighed against the effects of anxiety over pregnancy, if not treated at all. This has to be done by you and the treating doctor where the severity of your anxiety matters.

So, I suggest you consult a psychiatrist in reach of you, as, if at all you start the medicine, it should be started with a low dose and regular follow up.

Also, I suggest you try relaxation exercises to control your anxiety.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|