Q. Is it fine to take Metronidazole and Tergynan during pregnancy?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am six weeks pregnant. Before knowing that I was pregnant, I was treated for recurrent bacterial vaginosis with Metronidazole orally and Tergynan vaginally for a week approximately on weeks 4 to 5 of pregnancy. How it can harm my baby? Cause I heard that it is contraindicated in first trimester.

#

There are medications those can be advised in pregnancy as, during the antenatal period, many symptoms could occur that need to be treated. Metronidazole can be advised in pregnancy. So, do not worry and Tergynan is also antifungal antibiotic and it was advised locally, so acted locally. Actually, medications are better to avoid in the first trimester as basic organogenesis occurs. So now continue Folic acid 5 mg daily and do have scans at 13 weeks for nuchal translucency at 20 weeks for fetal detailed anomaly scan and at 22 weeks for cardiac outflow tract to be on safe side. Do not get stressed. Metronidazole is not contraindicated in pregnancy and Nystatin can be used locally.

|