Q. Is it fine to take Metronidazole and Tergynan during pregnancy?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Jan 29, 2019

I am six weeks pregnant. Before knowing that I was pregnant, I was treated for recurrent bacterial vaginosis with Metronidazole orally and Tergynan vaginally for a week approximately on weeks 4 to 5 of pregnancy. How it can harm my baby? Cause I heard that it is contraindicated in first trimester.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There are medications those can be advised in pregnancy as, during the antenatal period, many symptoms could occur that need to be treated. Metronidazole can be advised in pregnancy. So, do not worry and Tergynan is also antifungal antibiotic and it was advised locally, so acted locally. Actually, medications are better to avoid in the first trimester as basic organogenesis occurs. So now continue Folic acid 5 mg daily and do have scans at 13 weeks for nuchal translucency at 20 weeks for fetal detailed anomaly scan and at 22 weeks for cardiac outflow tract to be on safe side. Do not get stressed. Metronidazole is not contraindicated in pregnancy and Nystatin can be used locally.

Will Mensovit Plus tablet affect getting pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the side effect of Mensovit Plus tablet? Does it effect seriously on getting pregnant in future?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These pills have side effects for sure as every medicine has. It may cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, breast tenderness, headache. Taking them after meals can help reduce the intensity of these side effects and use of antiemetic drugs (for example Domperidone) to preve...  Read Full

My pregnancy test is positive. Can I take Gestafine and Folvite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I did not get my period for the past five weeks and yesterday I checked for my pregnancy and it turned out to be positive. I called my gynecologist and she suggested me to take Gestafine 200 one at night. And Folvite one in the afternoon. And also, she suggested tak...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In an uncomplicated pregnancy, except tablet Folvite (Vitamin B9), nothing else is required in early pregnancy. The rest can be taken, and safe in pregnancy, but I would not say they are necessary. Secondly, continue tablet Folvite until three months. Then do a datin...  Read Full

Is there any way to treat BV while being 34 weeks pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor,Is there any way that I can treat BV while being 34 weeks pregnant? I had Metronidazole gel and suppositories and they did not work. The smell is pretty uncomfortable plus I have HPV. So, I do not know if that is associated with the smell too. BTW is BV contagious?  Read Full >>

Dr. Tara Devi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. BV (bacterial vaginosis) is not a sexually transmitted infection. You must be having associated fungal infections causing itching. Take tablet Metronidazole 400 mg three times daily for one week. Take capsule Clotrimazole vaginal pessary at bedtime for a week. Drink ple...  Read Full