Q. Is it safe to withdraw 37. 5 Effexor by replacing 2 mg Abilify?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2019

Can Abilify (2 mg) help me get off 37.5 mg Effexor? That is what my psychiatrist prescribed.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

You are taking a minimum dose of Effexor on alternate days, and it is relatively easier to get off from this dose. But you are not able to get off from the drug. Abilify is Aripiprazole and is an antipsychotic drug. In a low dose, the drug might help to ease withdrawal if you suffer any. But since the drug is different from Effexor in pharmaco-dynamic actions so I do not think the drug can help in reducing the severe withdrawal symptoms. Taking low dose Klonopin (Clonazepam) along with Abilify should help to minimize the anxiety due to withdrawal, and you should give it a try.

What is the treatment for delusion of jealousy?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad is suffering from a delusion of jealousy for the last three years. What is the treatment for it? The main problem is that my dad has no insight of his problem. How much time will it take to recover? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sonia Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The treatment is antipsychotic medicines like Olanzapine, Aripiprazole, etc., followed by insight oriented psychotherapy after remission. But, please ensure that there are no other symptoms like delusions of persecution or control, hearing voices, sleep and appetite chang...  Read Full

Will Risperidone and Asprito affect my fetus during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two episodes of psychosis in the past two years. I started treatment with Risperidone and later started Asprito 5 mg. I am getting married after two months. I want to know that if I start a family, will this treatment affect my baby's health as only limited medicines are allowed...  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are receiving only 5 mg Asprito (Aripiprazole), which is a very low dose, it is better if you stop the medication at least in the first trimester (first 3 months of pregnancy). Then, you can take medicine safely during remaining pregnancy (last 6 months). But, if...  Read Full