Q. Can you please help me interpret the attached EKG?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 13, 2021

I am a 27 year old female. I went to the ER a few years ago, and I was diagnosed with pleurisy and anxiety. I only recently saw my records from that day. My EKG showed sinus tachycardia. My heart rate was 110, which I guess was due to anxiety or trying to breathe with pleurisy. I was also diagnosed with lateral repolarization abnormality. The doctor wrote "non-specific ST segment and T wave abnormalities" but otherwise normal EKG. I am really scared of this. I think that I have some kind of horrible heart rhythm that will lead me to just suddenly drop dead. I have severe health anxiety. Can you please help me interpret the attached EKG? Do I need to be afraid? I do not understand why the doctor would just let me go if it was something bad.

#

I have seen the ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• There are certain minor variations, which are quite commonly seen and considered as normal. So, there is nothing in your ECG, which is worrisome.
  • Also, considering your age, the probability of any cardiac illness is less, and you also did not have any symptoms suggestive of heart disease. And echocardiogram was normal, so it also rules out any cardiac illness.
  • So overall, there is no need to worry at all and ECG is also considered as normal.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Is the QT fine as well? My QTc was 438 with a heart rate of 110 (QT was 323). Bazett calculator said that this is approaching abnormally prolonged, but Framingham and Hodges's formula says it is too short. Why? When I typed in the 323 from the QT into the Bazett calculator, it mentioned that the QT itself was very low, but then gave me the same QTc of 438 that is on my EKG, and that some have said is close to the high range. Is it just that my 110 heart rate is throwing off the results? Do I need to be worried about an issue with my QT, especially with the "lateral depolarization abnormality" thing that was listed?

#

• QT changes with heart rate, that is, it decreases with increase in heart rate, which is a normal phenomenon and that is why it is corrected. And yes, these are compensatory changes due to tachycardia. Your QTc of 438 is absolutely normal, and no need to worry about it. In females, normal QTc is up to 460 to 470 msec.
  • There is no need to worry at all, and there are no significant depolarization abnormalities in lateral leads as well.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|