Q. I have pain in my left elbow and cannot do any regular activities. Please help.

Dr. Patel Tejashkumar Govindbhai
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2020

I have severe pain in the left elbow. I have attached the photo (the center point where I marked a circle). I am a housewife and have severe pain on my left hand even on lifting a small fry pan. I cannot lift pressure cookers. When lifting, pain becomes severe and feels like it moves downwards near to the wrist.

Early morning, I have severe pain while getting up from the bed, even tears come out of my eyes. But I can lift things, with a little bit adjustment like giving more weight to the right hand and change the angle a little bit and lift. As per one local doctor's advice I completed seven days of medicines. I took Calcium carbonate 500 mg, Diclofenac sodium 1%, Ibuprofen, and Amorphous aescin 20 mg.

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, it looks like a tennis elbow. In tennis elbow, common extensor muscle tendon attached to the outer side of elbow gets inflamed. And its name suggests that it is common in tennis players due to twisting movent of the upper limb. Same thing happened with housewife while washing cloth and squeezing clothes while making roti and all such activities are predisposing and exaggerating factors for tennis elbow.

Tennis elbow.

Avoid all squeezing movement like cloth squeezing, and screwing. Do local application of Diclofenac gel. Apply tennis elbow belt. Take tablet Piroxicam 20 mg two times a day after meal, Omeprazole 20 mg two time a day before meals, Deflazacort 6 mg BD. Take all these medicines for five days. Also, start physiotherapy, ultrasound therapy is also very effective in tennis elbow.

Avoid all squeezing movements because chances to recurrence are high even improved and treated with medication.

Follow up after five days.

|