Q. I have a great deal of pain due to L5-S1 disc hernia. How to get over it?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I suffer from an L5-S1 disc hernia, with pressure on the S1 root. I also have a partial tear in the right hip labrum. My surgeon is not sure which one is the cause of leg pain which starts at the low back and ends at the back of my feet. I suffer from a great deal of pain and would really like to get it over with.

#

I understand your concerns. Disc herniation causes considerable pain that needs step-wise management.

I suggest:

1. Physiotherapy consultation.
  2. Vitamin B12 ampoule IM every three days.
  3. Hot water bag massage three times per day.
  4. Deep heat cream three times a day.
  5. Piroxicam tablets twice a day.
  6. Follow up after one week.
  7. The next step to control pain will include Tramadol 200 mg per day or oral Morphine.
  8. You should proceed with surgery if indicated after consulting your surgeon.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|