Q. I was abused in my childhood and suffering from deep emotions. Please help.

Dr. Sathya Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

I am an 18 year old girl. When I was 7, my older brother (12) used to molest me. I do not know if it was traumatic as I do not remember crying or anything. Does this count as sexual abuse? Because of the young age of my brother, I do not know if it is related. But, I am extremely emotional, self-harm and do a lot of things without thinking. Sometimes, I think about seeing someone when I am really depressed and feel empty, but this only lasts like a few hours and then I feel fine.

#

• Although what happened to you in your early childhood is beyond doubt, I would advise you to desist from making any correlation between your current problems and the abusive incidents.
  • Like you accurately pointed out, at that age, you were unaware of the nature of the acts and therefore, it is unlikely to have caused any mental trauma.
  • This has been demonstrated in certain scientific studies as well, although might appear awkward from a societal perspective. If you try to correlate the two too much, you will be needlessly creating and aggravating a psychological trauma.
  • In any case, I think that your current symptoms are part of your personality and unrelated to the unfortunate incidents. So, do not worry and be happy.
  • If you are independently concerned about the symptoms (beyond its relation to the abuse), then you might want to consult a psychologist or psychiatrist.
  • Please bear in mind that all this advice is from a strictly scientific and psychological standpoint and not from a legal or moral or social and cultural standpoint. Take care.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

My mother was diagnosed with triple personality disorder. How did she get it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old female, and I have seen a lot while growing up. Since I was 6 years old, I started crying every day. Fear grew within me. I started having bad grades since I was 11. I was bullied twice by my friends when I was 7 and second time when I was 13. My parents had no time ...  Read Full »

Does uncontrolled anger mean bipolar or borderline personality disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I always get angered at my mom and I always yell at her. I have also found some symptoms which indicate that I have either bipolar or borderline personality disorder and I cannot control my anger usually. No matter how much I try to stop, I always end up yelling and screaming like a mani...  Read Full »

How can I reduce my depression?

Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full »