Common "Emotional Abuse" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Emotional Abuse

In emotional abuse, a person's emotions are controlled by another person. Criticizing, blaming, shaming, humiliation, and manipulation are the forms of emotional abuse. It affects the person's self-esteem and self-confidence, thereby negatively altering the individual's perception. It can be caused by anyone, including the partner, family, friends, and colleagues.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Please suggest a solution for our marital problems.

Query: Hello doctor,My husband and I had a fight regarding him leaving the house with COVID-19, and I called up his parents to complain. Since then, he keeps saying that we both are separated, he does not want to talk, he does not want us to go out anywhere as a family, and he says that I am just his child...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello,Welcome to read your query and understand your concerns about the recent development in marital life. I like to state that there are definite solutions for the current problem, and it can be solved with communication. Since he is not willing to interfere with the elders of the fa...  Read Full »

I had a sexual abuse, and have PTSD. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, PTSD is controlling my life. I was raped six to seven times and faced domestic abuse for four months until I escaped. Each time sex has been hard for me. After the domestic abuse, it is so bad that I have to stop in some strokes and if not then I will throw up on them.Sometimes it happen...  Read Full »

Dr. D. V. R. Poosha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for sharing your concern with me. I can understand your situation and feelings. I can assure you that this is not going to be with you forever. You would benefit from counseling and therapeutic techniques such as cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) by a clinica...  Read Full »

I am extremely emotional and self-harm because of childhood abuse. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old girl. When I was seven, my older brother (12) used to molest me. I do not know if it was traumatic as I do not remember crying or anything. Does this count as sexual abuse? Because of the young age of my brother, I do not know if it is related. But, I am extremely emot...  Read Full »

Dr. Sathya Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Although what happened to you in your early childhood is beyond doubt, I would advise you to desist from making any correlation between your current problems and the abusive incidents. Like you accurately pointed out, at that age, you were unaware of the nature of the...  Read Full »

I was abused mentally and physically. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, Before four years, I had a dating with a guy. After a year, he kissed another girl, and I saw him. He said to me it was just once and nothing else. I have recently found out that he was involved romantically with her all the time and I have been an option for him. I was abused mentally an...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I am sorry to hear about your relationship problem. I can understand you. It is difficult to manage it, but it is not impossible. You have to move away from that guy. If someone loves you, then that person will be happy, if you progress or achieve something in your life. ...  Read Full »

My wife is too tough on the child. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is indifferent to child health issues. She controls the child with threatening words. The child cannot cry or weep even with an extreme reprimand by her. She makes the child sleep under extreme pressure. Sometimes, the child wets the bed. She then becomes furious with him. All thi...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Too harshly treated or neglected child care can lead to psychological and developmental issue in the child, which includes depression, conduct disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social withdrawal, academic underachievement, and aggressive behavior. So, you need t...  Read Full »

How to know if I am in an emotionally abusive relationship?

Query: Hi doctor, How to know if I am in an emotionally abusive relationship? What are some key markers of an abusive relationship? Please help me. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. There are no specific standardized scales that can help in evaluating if a relationship is abusive or not. A lot of things help to determine the abusive relationship. Disqualifying the positives of a partner and maximizing...  Read Full »

I am experiencing symptoms of pain, stress, and anxiety due to mental abuse. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner and his friends have been emotionally assaulting me for months, and my stress and anxiety levels are so high that my entire body hurts. My hips and knees, as well as my hands (palms), are in excruciating discomfort. What can I possibly do in this situation? My periods have g...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

Answer: Hello, Welcome to This is a medical issue that requires the support of a multifaceted team, including but not limited to local police enforcement, an emergency hospital, and a psychologist. This is not a problem that can be remedied immediately. The first step is to eliminate the things...  Read Full »

I have been having anxiety issues as I had been in an abusive relationship Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have been in a relationship now for three years. It has been both physically and emotionally abusive. I tell myself over and over again I need to get out of this situation. I used to have anxiety issues in the past, and I feel they have returned. I think my mental state is unhappy. A ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You are going through a tough time but this phase will pass. I know it is easier said than done but you have to move on. Some simple steps that can be of help are: 1. Meditation daily for at least half an hour in the morning helps you to relax and focus. 2. Follow a rou...  Read Full »

What is making me to not leave the relationship with my partner?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old and I am in a relationship which is draining me emotionally, physically and mentally. But I am still giving it chances because the guy I am with probably loves me a lot, cries at the thought of leaving me and is loyal to me. I cannot decide. I cannot just leave. I am...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand what you are going through right now. People are difficult to understand at times. Currently, I think you are being psychologically or emotionally abused. The guy controls your life, your freedom, your decisions on everything, hurts you, blame you un...  Read Full »

My fiance is trying to hurt me emotionally through words. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a college student studying to become a psychiatrist, and I think that my estranged fiance is suffering from manic depression or a form of bipolar disorder. We have a 1-year-old son. I love my fiance with every inch of my being, but when he gets into these moods he tends to push me awa...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. Every individual is different, with different personalities, coping strategies, and different ways of handling their emotions. There might be certain emotions and feelings, which he internalized and never expressed before anyone, which are...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.