Q. I have the problem of imagining more and I talk to myself. Is this normal?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 19, 2019

I talk to myself. I have done it for as long as I can remember, I called on my other worlds, and I play different people I make up their lives in their personalities, friends, and stuff. I run it like a movie, and I play one character make and the rest I react to. And will talk to me out loud and walk around and pick up imagery objects and makeup settings, like a movie.

Last year I was in a mental hospital for a suicide attempt and cutting and stuff. And in there you do not get phones and stuff, so I was in my world a lot, but for once I was playing multiple worlds at the same time. When I am not alone, I play in my head. I still can function and get good grades and school, but I do not have friends I play in my world.

I guess it started when I was 8 it bullied, and I liked my other worlds better, and other stuff happened to me. They call it trauma or whatever. But anyway you could say I got better. I play myself in my worlds with a different personality and world. The only thing staying the same is my name. But I am worried because I am 13 but do it in secret. But my brother is 9 but acts like 5 and doses it in the open. He is loud and runs around talking to himself, and my family thinks he needs to play a sport. So I am asking if this is normal or something or just another reason I am crazy.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

It is good that you are insightful about your experiences and seeking out more information to empower yourself. The first thing to remember is you are not crazy. You are experiencing emotional difficulties, and you will get better gradually with support. You appear to be using fantasy as a coping mechanism to deal with problems in real life. Many people have this experience. We tend to use our imagination to visualize better scenarios. Some of us have an overactive imagination and wishful thinking and develop an elaborate fantasy world.

It becomes unhealthy if fantasizing starts affecting your real life. With support, you can develop more healthy coping mechanisms. Have you tried writing down your rich imaginative fantasy world? Some find it helpful to write down their experiences into stories. You can try and see whether it is useful for you. I know that you are taking Lexapro (Escitalopram) medication, which can help with emotional problems. Are you also having any therapy? I will advise you to discuss with your parents or family and your treating doctor so that they can support you accordingly. You will get better gradually.

My online partner is not talking properly. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, There is a girl I know from online for more than three years. I liked her before, but I was too shy to tell her. Last year she opened up that she likes me too. Last summer we talked a lot, daily had calls, movies online, shared pictures. She told me that she loves me, I told her too. Unf...  Read Full »

What are the advisable long term drug of choice for anxiety and depression?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression, anxiety, lack of confidence, lack of energy, palpitation, and excess sweating for the past 18 years. I have consulted so many psychiatrists. My current doctor prescribes me Nexito Forte, Prothiaden 25 mg, and Toficalm 100 in morning and evening. But I feel some slee...  Read Full »

My beloved one is not even accepting me as a friend and I cannot put him off my mind. Please show me a way.

Query: Hello doctor, I love someone deeply, and I begged him to be friends, but as I had expressed my feelings so overly, so he escaped. I still wish to be friends with him I do not want to hope anything more than a friend. At first, he welcomingly agreed to be friends, but I cut my promise and talked abo...  Read Full »