Q. Is it dangerous to smoke marijuana while on Vyvanse, and Escitalopram?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

Nearly every day, I take Vyvanse for my ADD and Escitalopram for my anxiety and depression. I do not take Vyvanse when I am not in school. Between, I am sixteen, turning seventeen soon. This summer, I began smoking marijuana nearly every single day. I want to say it was not a coping mechanism, and in many ways, it was not, but I felt (and still feel) like I was smoking to avoid feeling lonely, anxious, and depressed.

I am very aware of the dangers of marijuana and the effects of using it every day. My main concern is the way my body will react on being on a combo of an Amphetamine, an SSRI, and a psychoactive drug. I highly doubt the outcome is positive. Is it a very dangerous (life-threatening) combination? Will it have significant effects on my well-being or my physical health?

#

1. You are right in recognizing that smoking marijuana may not be safe when you are taking Escitalopram and Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) description. Occasional smoking is relatively common but to smoke marijuana daily is harmful at your age.

2. Try to reflect what made you experiment with marijuana this summer. Are you still feeling depressed and anxious despite Escitalopram? You can consider a review with your prescribing doctor to check your emotional wellbeing and optimize medication if needed. Have you had CBT to manage anxiety or depression and develop healthy coping strategies?

3. Marijuana may have a dulling effect on your feelings and emotions. It will increase the risk of developing a psychotic illness. It can aggravate mood swings and make you more restless. Marijuana is known to cause tachycardia (fast heartbeat) and high BP when you are taking an antidepressant and stimulant, and it can make you more susceptible to developing these problems.

4. Also, there are concerns about long term adverse effects of marijuana on the growing adolescent brain. There are many more unanswered concerns about the long-time adverse impacts of marijuana use. So I will advise to refrain from smoking marijuana at this age and seek additional support to manage any emotional needs. Keep yourself active, engage in sports or martial arts.

|