Q. What are the ways to control emotions?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

I am extremely emotional. I cannot control my feelings and always feel like a victim. How can I be more responsible and in control without constantly feeling hurt?

Do you have a question on Emotional Instability or Personality Disorder?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ruhi Satija

MD PHYSICIAN., DPM., PGDPC., CMHE
Psychiatry

First of all, I appreciate you for your strength to be able to recognize your own nonhelpful thoughts and behavior. It takes a lot of courage. Self-victimization often is seen with people who have had a childhood in a nonnurturing or dysfunctional family. It can also be a part of a personality disorder, what you can do is find a therapist, a counselor and start taking sessions so you can work on your impulsivity and the therapist will further help you recognize your subconscious thought patterns leading you to behave and feel this way.

You can find a counselor in your city or there are many online sites providing the facility. If you cannot do that either, start with journaling, keep a mood journal and start writing what happened and what made you feel bad or when you reacted in a wrong way, what went through your mind. If you do this regularly, you will be able to recognize patterns in your behavior and situation which is your triggers, which you can avoid.

Thank you for your reply and lots of respect for what you do as well. How can I relax my emotions at any given moment, is there a certain technique to relieve pain or unwanted thoughts? Also, how can I react in a way which does not victimize me, what is a quick solution for my problem other than daily journaling because I have tried it before and unfortunately it seems as though it is somewhat inherited or out of my conscious control completely. Is there a way to treat it no matter how rooted it is? And are there any actions which I could immediately take whenever I feel intense emotions?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

MD PHYSICIAN., DPM., PGDPC., CMHE
Psychiatry

Yes, you can try various relaxation techniques and deep breathing techniques to reduce stress and the negative feeling. Check out box breathing technique, progressive muscle relaxation. Also, you can try bullet journaling if conventional journaling did not benefit you. And yes every problem has a solution, and you will get better, it is only a matter of time and patience.

Also Read Answers From: Emotional Instability Personality Disorder

My beloved one is not even accepting me as a friend and I cannot put him off my mind. Please show me a way.
Query: Hello doctor, I love someone deeply, and I begged him to be friends, but as I had expressed my feelings so overly, so he escaped. I still wish to be friends with him I do not want to hope anything more than a friend. At first, he welcomingly agreed to be friends, but I cut my promise and talked abo...  Read Full >>
Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand what you are going through right now. If you will take my opinion, then it is in your best interest your that person does not remain a friend to you. Our mind plays weired things. When you are a friend with him, then your mind will start expecting someth...  Read Full

How to correct bedwetting of a 9 year old?
Query: Hi doctor, My child, who is 9 years old, has¬†bedwetting problem. Please suggest me.  Read Full >>
Dr. Nageswara Rao
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1 out of 65 children, wet the bed regularly at 9 years of age. Occasionally, bedwetting can be triggered by emotional distress, such as being bullied or moving to a new school.¬†Reassuring your child that everything is fine is also important. Do not tell them off or punis...  Read Full

I was just informed that I have a personality disorder NOS. What does it mean?
Query: Hello doctor, I am feeling extremely distressed, as I have just discovered through my physician, that in the past I have been given two diagnoses and not been told about one of them. One is bipolar disorder, which I am aware of, but the other is personality disorder NOS, and I have no idea what this...  Read Full >>
Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In my opinion, do not get distressed by a diagnosis which you were unaware of till now, as an improvement in your symptoms is the most important. What matters is that, with treatment, were your symptoms under control. The categorical diagnosis should n...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now