Q. I was just informed that I have a personality disorder NOS. What does it mean?

Dr. Aditya Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 04, 2022

I am feeling extremely distressed, as I have just discovered through my physician, that in the past I have been given two diagnoses and not been told about one of them. One is bipolar disorder, which I am aware of, but the other is personality disorder NOS, and I have no idea what this is or what it means. I am currently taking Dosulepin and Mirtazapine.

#

In my opinion, do not get distressed by a diagnosis which you were unaware of till now, as an improvement in your symptoms is the most important. What matters is that, with treatment, were your symptoms under control. The categorical diagnosis should not affect you otherwise.

Speaking about personality disorder NOS, personality disorder means chronic deviation from the normal way of reacting to a situation or expressing yourself, and NOS means not otherwise specified, that is, when you cannot exactly classify the type of personality disorder, it is put under this category.

I suggest the following:

1. Kindly consult a psychiatrist in person for a detailed evaluation so that the diagnosis can be reviewed and treatment can be given accordingly.
  2. You can then discuss with your treating psychiatrist regarding tapering Dosulepin and adding a few drugs for bipolar depression.

Hope this solves your query. Remember every problem has a solution. You need to try to solve it. Help is only a step away. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|