Q. I have emphysema. Is it fine to continue with antibiotics?

Dr. Rahul Rathee
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 29, 2019

A year ago, I was diagnosed with Emphysema, and before four years, I was diagnosed with bronchitis, but after six months, I had a warm feeling in my stomach, followed by nausea. I need to know if I should be going back to the ER or continue to take my antibiotics and not stress over it.

Dr. Rahul Rathee

#

No, you need not go to the ER. The burning sensation in the stomach and nausea you are having is not related to your emphysema and bronchitis. It is actually due to the antibiotics and other medicines you are taking because antibiotics cause secretion of an excessive amount of acid in the stomach, which leads to a feeling of burning and nausea. The treatment of your problem is simple, take these medicines along with antibiotics to prevent excess acid formation.

(1) Capsule Rabeprazole two times a day.

(2) Tablet Rantac (Ranitidine) two times a day.

(3) Tablet Domperidone 10 mg two times a day.

What antibiotics are recommended for chlamydia in an HIV positive?

Query: Hi doctor,I tested positive for chlamydia IgA IgG. Negative IgM. I am HIV positive but undetectable viral load and CD4 724. Recommended antibiotic? Thanks.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A high title of IgA and IgG antibodies to chlamydia generally indicates active infection but it is an auxiliary test and should also be supplemented by a more specific nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) on a urine sample. A NAAT test specifically detects chlamydi...  Read Full

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IBS. Probiotics ca...  Read Full

If I stop smoking, can I live long?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a CT scan on head, neck and chest. My doctor told me that I have chronic sinus. I already knew these things and had sinus surgery. But, in the report it was mentioned as mild emphysema. Can that get fixed if I stop smoking? I am using Advair for years for asthma. I visited pulm...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Emphysema is a non-reversible change in the lungs. But, yes, the further progression can be controlled by stopping smoking. Now, to know the extent of damage, I would advise to go for pulmonary function test (spirometry) that would help you to k...  Read Full