Q. Is it possible to cure encephalomalacia with surgery?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 12, 2021

My child is 5 years old and his MRI shows the following. Extensive destructive cystic encephalomalacia involving the near entirety of the supratentorial region. Will he become fine after having back surgery? Is his brain condition very bad?

#

I have read your question with care.

• Yes, as your son is suffering from encephalomalacia (softening of brain tissue), please proceed with the back surgery.
  • We have to give him the best possible care and hope for brain and spinal cord to function at the best and improve as much as possible.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|