Q. Why does my wife have an endometrial thickness of 5 mm, although she does not complain of post-menopausal bleeding?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

My wife had her menopause 10 years back. She does not have any post-menopausal bleeding or any other symptom. At present, she has high blood pressure, blood sugar, allergies like asthma in a change of climate, constipation, and belching. She is currently taking tablet Amlodipine besylate 2.5 mg once daily for high blood pressure, and tablet Reclimet 60 mg once daily for blood sugar. We had a general check-up of my wife and found the following findings. Her endometrial thickness of the uterus is 5 mm. Whereas the gynecologist expected to have it below 4 mm, they want to go for hysteroscopy screening to be on the safer side. Please suggest on the uterus finding for the time being.

#

The post-menopausal endometrial thickness of less than 5 mm is considered normal. If it is more than 5 mm, there are chances of endometrial cancer. One symptom that is usually associated with increased thickness is postmenopausal bleeding.

Hypertension and diabetes are risk factors for endometrial cancer. But in your wife's case, there is no history of post-menopausal bleeding and also thickness is 5 mm with controlled blood pressure and diabetes. I do not think hysteroscopy is required at present unless there is a family history of any type of cancer.

Hope this was helpful.

|