Q. Can an enlarged lymph node at the side of my neck be due to autoimmune disease?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2021 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2022

I have enlarged lymph nodes on the side of my neck and experienced a low fever on and off for four days. I tested positive for ANA (Antinuclear antibody) 1:16, speckled pattern. No sign of abnormality in my chest X-ray result. I do not have any other symptoms, such as skin rash or muscle pain. Do I have an autoimmune disease? What might it be?

Please answer.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

When actually in large lymph nodes, it can be due to infection. Bacterial infection can lead to such swollen lymph nodes.

But at the same time, positive ANA (Antinuclear antibody) indicates for them, so there might be rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. When you do not have any symptoms of these diseases, do not worry.

Even healthy people show ANA positive, so there is no treatment required if you do not have symptoms. For enlarged lymph nodes, antibiotics can be given, and they will shrink most probably.

Please send me a picture of enlarged lymph nodes and your reports.

Are you allergic to any antibiotics?

Do you have any difficulties in swallowing?

Please answer.

Infection.

USG (ultrasonography) of the neck.

Cyst.

Enlarged lymph node.

Antibiotics.

|