Q. Can lymph node enlargement in mouth, legs and neck mean lymphoma?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Sep 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I was in a car accident four years back. After one week while I was having bath, I felt one small lymph node in my left neck. I did not feel it before. It was little bigger that time. By the time it is getting smaller but not going to its original size. I cannot see it now but I can feel it. So, I am worried and popping it all the time. Recently, I found one gland in floor of the mouth in left side and it is very small and not growing in size. Sometimes I feel swelling in left side of mouth and left leg. I got no night sweat, no fever and no weight loss at all. I got five small petechiae (red blood spots) in right chest. I have attached my complete blood test history for three months.

Symptoms:

Constant left shoulder pain, bone pain, hand pain. extreme fatigue, and tiredness. I feel something struck in throat. Bowel habit change.

Medications:

Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg for two weeks. Amoxycillin 500 mg for one week.

My questions to you are as follows:

1. Do I have lymphoma or leukemia?

2. If your answer of no. 1. is no, then why the lymph nodes are not going back to their original size after completing whole antibiotic dosage?

3. Why my WBC and lymph % are fluctuating too much?

4. Can lymphoma be ruled out from CBC test?

5. What is your opinion about my blood report?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

No, it is neither lymphoma nor leukemia. There is no cell predominance (either neutrophil or lymphocyte or any immature cells) or the counts are also not high enough to think of leukemia. Lymphoma lymph nodes are usually multiple and do not regress in size. Lymph nodes usually take longer to regress and sometimes, mild infection in the location could be making it to be active. It could also be chronic lymphadenitis, with variable amount of fibrosis inside it, due to which, it may not regress back to its original size. If it was lymphoma, it would be increasing and multiple sites and multiple nodes together would be enlarged.

WBC are cells related to fighting infections and inflammations. As the body is fighting some infection or other in everything (food, water, air, etc.), it will vary. Also, stress and hormonal variations can affect it too. If the count is not shooting excessively over the normal range, not to worry. No, usually lymphoma cannot be ruled out from CBC test. Fine needle aspiration cytology of lymph node or biopsy of lymph node is essential. However, at present, it will not be essential looking at small lymph nodes.

Blood report, overall is good. Mild neutrophil increase, indicating possible mild infection or stress. Stress could be responsible for all the symptoms at present. Nothing in the blood report, can explain the symptoms you have. Check calcium level once. As the platelet count is normal and you do not have any bleeding, petechiae could be due to small pressure spots. It will disappear. Not to worry about it. If it starts occurring at multiple spots, then prothrombin and activated partial thromboplastin time evaluation may be necessary.

What is the role of calcium in blocking blood vessels?Is it reversible?

Query: Hi doctor, My medical condition, background information, current lifestyle and medications are as follows: My cardiac calcium score was over 4,500 before four years and is now over 9,400. Angioplasty before six months revealed mid right coronary artery stenosis of less than 50% and diffused LAD 20%-...  Read Full »

Are my lymph nodes swollen due to an allergy to fried foods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I had a fever of 37.8oC on the eighth of last month, which only lasted for a day. But the fever was followed by few symptoms. After the fever, my lymph nodes at the back of my ear were swollen. I also had a sore throat and mouth ulcers. My body felt itchy, and I ...  Read Full »

What causes enlarged pericecal lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I just want to start off by saying that I am a 24-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past, and for about a good seven months I have had stomach issues on and off. Nothing serious, no weight loss or any large amounts of blood in the stool. I had one CT scan the first ...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now