Q. My Agatston score is 34. Please suggest what has to be done.

Dr. Nishith Chandra
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I am 39 years old male. I weigh 185 pounds, height is 5.7 feet, and BMI 29. Recently my primary care doctor had a calcium score and stress test done on me and the calcium score (Agatston method) came out 34 and he said I am in the 96th percentile. My stress test was normal. He suggested I should take a statin and Aspirin daily. I am worried about the situation. Please, can you suggest?

#

Since your stress test is normal, and the calcium score is only 34, one thing is certain that at present there is no significant blockage in your coronary arteries. I was wondering what is the need for a statin, you have not shared your lipid profile report with me. Is your cholesterol high? If it is normal, then I would not advise statin. As far as Aspirin is concerned, so there is no harm in taking it as a primary prevention.

For more information consult a cardiologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

My LDL is 104, total cholesterol is 174, Chol/HDL is 3.7 ratio, HDL is 47, and triglycerides is 115. Also, they said I am in the 96th percentile. Does it mean that this number of 34 is a higher number for my age? What is the level of risk I am at and what number of CCS is considered higher for my age?

#

Your LDL (low-density lipoprotein) level is marginally high. That does not warrant any statin. Instead, increase your exercise levels and reduce fats and meat from your diet. Relax, you are healthy and do not require any further cardiac workup.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Thank you for reassuring. Do you see patients at my age with this score? I am not sure how they profiled me here at 96 percentile. Also looks like this calcification is in LAD. Does this put me at higher risk?

#

We regularly see younger patients with such or even higher calcium scores. A calcium score more than 400 is considered abnormal. So, do not worry. Follow healthy lifestyles, and reduce your BMI (body mass index).

|