Epididymitis is the inflammation of the epididymis, which a coiled tube at the back of the testicles. It is caused due to bacterial infections, which can also be sexually transmitted. The symptoms are swollen and red scrotum, testicular pain and tenderness, blood in semen, painful urination, and abdominal pain.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have resolved epididymitis, but the constant urge to urinate persists even after medications. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had epididymitis. All other infections, including STD (sexually transmitted disease), are negative. I had two rounds of antibiotics, and the symptoms were not alleviated. Epididymitis eventually passed. However, a constant urge to urinate presented. Testicles and prostate scan are no...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a typical presentation of prostatitis. Although all tests are normal and the prostate could appear well on ultrasound, it can still be inflammation and not necessarily an infection of the prostate. Therefore, treatment usually is by prolonged antibiotics. I sug...  Read Full »

Why do my testicles feel swollen and squishier than usual, and a little painful to touch?

Query: Hello doctor, Ten days back, I was cycling for about 30 minutes, and after a while, I realized that my testicles had retreated into my body and were numb. As I stood on the bicycle, I felt the blood rushing back to my testicles, and they started to feel better. My right testicle became swollen to al...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhav

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would be happy to help. You have a mild testicular infection. I suggest you get a physical examination done by a urologist and a color doppler scan of the scrotum to confirm the diagnosis. If an infection is confirmed, an antibiotic cour...  Read Full »

I have recurrent dull pain in my testicle and a prominent vein. Is it epididymitis or varicoceles ?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male with dull pain in my right testicle. I am around 195 cm tall and weigh 100 kg. Ten years ago, an ultrasound was performed to rule out torsion or the presence of any mass, a urine test to check for UTIs and STDs, and I was diagnosed with epididymitis. I have been pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. This seems to be normal. In a varicocele, there are a number of veins (not single) giving a bag of worms feeling. To treat epididymitis, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory are required, and you need scrotal support (tight underwear). 1. Tablet ...  Read Full »

Will epididymitis cause prolonged testicular pain associated with pain in the lower abdomen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28-year-old unmarried male. My spermatic cords and other nerves connecting both the testicles pain considerably for prolonged hours. Especially after getting aroused, pain is there (usually it happens when I get aroused but did not discharge my semen). Both the testicles feel tend...  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. A lot of reason for your issue, it can be: 1) Prone masturbation can cause pain due to injury. 2) Holding or prolonging orgasm during masturbation. 3) Epididymitis is Inflammation of the tube, back of the testicle that carr...  Read Full »

I have pain in my left testicle with erectile dysfunction. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male, and I am experiencing pain in my left testicle. The intensity of pain varies. After the episodes of pain, I have had erectile dysfunction for the past week. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhav

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Is there any change in your testis size? Is it tender to touch?The common causes of testicular pain in your age are:Varicocele (dilated veins around testes).Hydrocele (fluid-filled around testes).Orchitis (testicular infection).And these conditions can eventually cause e...  Read Full »

Should I continue taking antibiotics for the recurring pain in the testicle?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 54 year old man, 5 feet and 8 inches, weighing 146 pounds. About six weeks ago, I started having intermittent pains and discomfort in my right testicle. Sometimes it was a dull ache, sometimes a sharper, stabbing pain. It seemed to radiate from a spermatocele cyst, which I have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Praveen Pushkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Epididymitis or epididymo orchitis takes a long time to cure completely. Often, the antibiotic course has to be prolonged for up to three months. You would be lucky if it is cured in 14 days. If the pain is still there, antibiotic has to be continued along with the an...  Read Full »

When to worry about a hyperechoic mass in the testicular ultrasound?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a testicle ultrasound, and the report shows a hyperechoic mass of size 3 mm. The doctor advised me to repeat the ultrasound three months later. And the report after three months shows a hyperechoic mass of size 2 mm. My doctor told me that it was fine and not to worry about. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). If you have persistent pain in the left scrotum, you might be having an inflammation of the left epididymis. It is a small structure located above the testis. Regarding...  Read Full »

What are the common causes for upper abdominal pain?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 40-year-old male with a weight of 81 kilograms and a height of five feet eleven inches. I am not taking any medications. I have an on and off upper abdominal pain for five months. Sometimes I have pain in my lower abdomen and pain in the groin and testicles. My overall health remain...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your upper abdominal pain does not occur due to a kidney stone as your ultrasound does not show any stones in your kidney or any blockages to the kidney. Your liver and gallbladder remain normal. I think that your gastric pain occurs due to gastritis or gastric ulcer. I...  Read Full »

Does HIV cause penile burning sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have two issues to ask you and kindly help me. Before four months, I had a high-risk exposure to HIV. I dismissed it and I lived my life normally. After a month, I got a COVID-19 infection. I had loss of taste and smell with oral thrush. At this point, I forgot about HIV due to the pre...  Read Full »

Dr. Yousef Abbas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can feel your anxiety. HIV 1 (human immunodeficiency virus 1) or HIV 2 tests with or without p24 antigen tests are accurate. You have spent more than a couple of months than others in your life for testing. You have done a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and HIV antib...  Read Full »

Why do I have consistent dull testicular pain with a stomach ache?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male, and I have had a consistent dull ache in my testicles (most of the time, the left side and less of the right side) for two months from now. From time to time, it will cause stomach ache, which I know is due to the spermatic cord going up into the abdomen. I hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relax, and do not worry. You are suffering from testicular orchalgia. First of all, I would like to say both your urologist treated you correctly. If there is a doubt about epididymitis, it should be treated. Now your symptoms are not getting improved means it may not ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.