Q. How can you manage epididymitis?

Dr. Ankush Jairath

I am a 25-year-old male with dull pain in my right testicle. I am around 195 cm tall and weigh 100 kg. Ten years ago, an ultrasound was performed to rule out torsion or the presence of any mass, a urine test to check for UTIs and STDs, and I was diagnosed with epididymitis. I have been prescribed Ciprofloxacin for treatment, and I am unsure if it is working efficiently. Some days I feel good, and then some days, the dull ache is back. However, I have noticed that there seems to be a vein that starts from the bottom of my testicle and then travels slightly up the front (not epididymis). It is not moving freely as it is actually on the inside of my testicle. It is soft and squishy, and when an erection happens, it gets hardened, and somewhat of a ridge forms on the front of my testicle. Once the erection is gone, the ridge goes away, and the vein goes back to being squishy. Is this normal with a testicle? I have heard of varicoceles, but I thought they were only for the veins in the scrotum and not actually on the inside of a testicle. I feel like most of my pain results from me pressing that vein as my anxiety is getting the better of me. I would appreciate any feedback.

#

I understand your concern. This seems to be normal. In a varicocele, there are a number of veins (not single) giving a bag of worms feeling. To treat epididymitis, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory are required, and you need scrotal support (tight underwear).

1. Tablet Levoflox 500 mg (Levofloxacin 500 mg) HS x 3 weeks.

2. Tablet Chymoral forte (Diclofenac) 1-0-1 x 3 weeks.

Thank you. Regards.

Thank you for the response.

Can a varicocele be present inside or on the actual testicle? My doctor just prescribed me more Ciprofloxacin. How will I go about getting him to prescribe the antibiotics you listed? If the vein is the cause of the pain, what are the solutions I can do to get this fixed?

#

It is impossible to miss varicocele on ultrasound. The vein can only cause pain if infected, so the prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines can take care of that. Thank you.

|