Q. I am having feeling of deja vu and memory loss after seizure. Why is it so?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

I am having the following symptoms for the past three years. It includes very overwhelming feeling of doom, hand is frozen and unable to move, rising feeling in stomach making me feel sick, swallowing repeatedly, memory loss of what I was thinking about and also general memory loss after an episode. I am having this feel for at least twice a month. I feel confused after and have also had a migraine lasting more than 24 hours after yesterday's seizure. It might be worth noting that I have also been feeling dizzy all week but this was before the seizure occurred and has now gone away.

#

Your description of the episode is typical of partial seizure. It is likely to be complex partial seizures because of the deja vu (already experienced feeling) and memory loss.

Since you are having recurrent seizures, you are suffering from epilepsy. It needs to be investigated and you need to be started on an antiepileptic drug.

Antiepileptic medicines like Oxcarbazepine dose of 10-15 mg/kg in two divided doses and Clobazam 5-10 mg, once a day are reasonable for first line medicine for complex partial epilepsy considering your age and gender.

You also need to get an electroencephalogram (EEG) and MRI brain done to confirm the diagnosis and decide on proper line of management.

You need to see a neurologist and start treatment soon to prevent further complications.

EEG and MRI brain.

Simple partial epilepsy.

Complex partial epilepsy.

Start antiepileptic medications like Oxcarbazepine and Clobazam.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|