Q. My mother is an epileptic patient. I want to know if her present treatment is right?

Answered by Dr. Aida Quka and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Epilepsy or Seizure Disorder? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My mother is a patient of epilepsy for 22 years. Earlier she was diagnosed as GTCS (generalized tonic-clonic seizures) and CPS (complex partial seizures) and given Eptoin 100mg BD at first, then Zeptol CR 400mg BD with Cloba 10mg for fits, convulsions, and senselessness. But still, it was going on. Now, for the last two years, we consulted another doctor, who diagnosed that her treatment was not in the right way. He said that the seizure was idiopathic generalized epilepsy with absence seizures and she was given Encorate Chrono 500mg BD with Cloba 10mg.

After this, she was good for two years. Then she again developed fits, senselessness, and convulsions this year. So, we went to the doctor and this time the diagnosis is combination of multiple seizures with psychogenic non-epileptic seizure and was given Encorate Chrono 500mg BD, Levipil 500mg BD, Cloba 10mg HS, Nexito 10mg HS. But still fits and convulsion is going on after coming back from the hospital. Please advise what has to be done. Is the treatment going in the right way? Is there any need for medicines such as Topiramate or Lacosamide or Tiagabine medicines?