Q. Can I take Topamax and Marijuana together?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I was prescribed Topamax recently for treatment of migraines. I am starting on 25 mg once a day and going up to 100 mg after one month. Are there any known interactions between Topamax and medical Marijuana? I use the former for treatment of anxiety and it is quite helpful, however, I have read anecdotal horror stories about combining the two.

#

Marijuana and Topiramate (Topamax) both increase sedation (increased sleepiness). If both are being used simultaneously, I would advice to avoid works that require constant attention and which risk the life of others (like driving, etc.). Ask your physician to modify therapy according to you, along with that your physician should monitor the therapy closely before escalating dosages.

|