Q. Can I take Topamax and Marijuana together?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
Published on Nov 09, 2019

I was prescribed Topamax recently for treatment of migraines. I am starting on 25 mg once a day and going up to 100 mg after one month. Are there any known interactions between Topamax and medical Marijuana? I use the former for treatment of anxiety and it is quite helpful, however, I have read anecdotal horror stories about combining the two.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

Marijuana and Topiramate (Topamax) both increase sedation (increased sleepiness). If both are being used simultaneously, I would advice to avoid works that require constant attention and which risk the life of others (like driving, etc.). Ask your physician to modify therapy according to you, along with that your physician should monitor the therapy closely before escalating dosages.

| 

I feel weird after smoking marijuana. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I smoked marijuana the day before yesterday night. I was all right in the morning. When I went to college, I felt strange to my hands (especially left hand) and both the legs. But, in the noon it disappeared. When I smoked in the noon, that strange feeling came back to me again. From that ...  Read Full »

I am suffering from chronic migraines. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old male, who is suffering from chronic migraines. Occasional marijuana seems to have helped. But, I test positive for drug tests. What do I do?  Read Full »

For the diagnosis of epilepsy, is a PET scan mandatory?

Query: Hi doctor, My four year old son, weighing 16 kg is taking medicine for benign childhood epilepsy. Medicines he is taking are namely Topamac 100 mg a day in two divided doses and Lobazam 15 mg a day (5-0-10).  His MRI for epilepsy protocol is normal without abnormalities. I would like to know whethe...  Read Full »