Q. What are the treatment options for erectile dysfunction?

Answered by
Dr. Deep Dutta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Dec 24, 2016

Hello doctor,

I am 33 years old. My height is 182 cm and weight is 90 kg. I do not have the habit of smoking, but I drink. Please go through my blood reports. I have been facing erectile dysfunction for the last one year. I have tried Megalis (Tadalafil) and Manforce (Sildenafil citrate). When I am using the medicines, it gives me erection, but leads to anejaculation (no discharge). One of the doctors advised me to get my testosterone checked and when I got it checked it was low. The doctor prescribed me tablet Unidep SR 150 mg, two tablets in the morning and injection Cernos 1 g deep intramuscular. I think my doctor is leading me to a testosterone replacement therapy. Is there any other medicine that I have to try instead of testosterone replacement therapy? I am afraid of testosterone replacement therapy due to its side effects. The doctor has prescribed me Cernos 1 g, which I think is too much after having researched on the internet. I got to know that 400 mg bimonthly is a good dose. Cernos come in a 4 mL vial. So, can I take about 2 mL every fortnightly? Is that a correct calculation for about 400 mg? What does Unidep do and why this was prescribed to me? I heard while taking testosterone my estrogen can increase and it will not resolve my erectile dysfunction. So, how to control that?

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Your testosterone level of 132 ng/dL is suggestive of hypogonadism (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Your HbA1c (glycosylated hemoglobin) of 6.2% is suggestive of prediabetes.
  • Have you had diabetes ever? Have you taken any medications for diabetes? Diabetes is well known to be associated with erectile dysfunction and hypogonadism. Please get your fasting and 2 hour post meal glucose tested.
  • Cernos 40 mg (Testosterone) per day is usually enough. But, before starting testosterone for symptomatic relief, we need to find out the cause for your hypogonadism.
  • Please consult an endocrinologist immediately. You need to get yourself examined by him. Also, you need to be evaluated for diabetes and dyslipidemia. You also need to lose body weight by 7 to 10 kg.

Revert back with the details to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Thank you doctor,

I neither had diabetes nor have taken any medicines for that. Still, I will get my glucose tested. I live in a small town and so no good doctors are here. I will soon find an endocrinologist and get myself examined. Did you mean Cernos 40 mg per day daily injection or 600 mg fortnightly?

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Please get your fasting and 2 hours post 75 g anhydrous glucose blood glucose checked. 75 g of anhydrous glucose is equal to 84 g of Glucon-D, which is easily available.
  • After getting the tests done, I suggest you start with tablet Glycomet (Metformin) 500 mg, one tablet after dinner daily. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Before starting testosterone supplementation, you need to get a few baseline tests done. Get yourself tested for hemoglobin, prostate specific antigen titer, ultrasound scan for prostate volume and liver function tests. Do not worry. Ask your general physician for a referral to an endocrinologist.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

I am a 22 year old male, with a body structure of a 15 year old boy. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22 year old male, who has a body structure of a 15 year old boy. I do not have a beard or a mustache. I have thin hands and legs, small face, low IQ level, and small rib cage. I have acidity problem and pass semi-solid stool.  Read Full »

My HbA1c level was 7.5 last month. Should I continue Gemer 1 tablet?

Query: Hi doctor, Last month, my HbA1C was 7.5. I was advised to take Gemer 1 tablet before breakfast for 30 days. My LDL cholesterol is 119 mg/dL, HDL is 40mg/dL and triglycerides 161 mg/dL. My age is 49. Should I continue Gemer 1 along with other medicines? Kindly suggest.  Read Full »

Would low testosterone affect erection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old. I never had sex and physically fit. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. My eating habit is healthy and I do not have much stress. I did my medical test three months back and found my testosterone level is below the minimum limit. I started eating vegetables and fruits, but...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.