Q. What does gondotropin levels with moderate testicular failure indicate?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 21, 2019

He is 30 years old, and his height is 6ft. Gondotropin levels show moderate testicular failure, but no treatment was given. We had a micro TESE done for him, and no abnormalities were found. What does it mean? Should he have received medication to support this?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The sperm analysis shows azoospermia (complete absence of sperm from the fluid ejaculated during orgasm) and testicular failure. If even after Micro TESE (testicular sperm extraction) testicular biopsy, there has been no sperm seen, and there is no blockage disorder either, then his chances of contributing to natural or assisted conception are grim which means that testis is not producing any sperms and have gone in failure.

The next chance would be to opt for donor sperm, and IVF (in vitro fertilization) followed by embryo transfer to conceive.

Please tell me what does gonadotropin levels show moderate testicular failure mean?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Gonadotrophin testicular failure in his case is hypogonadotropic hypogonadism where the hypothalamus is producing FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) or LH (luteinizing hormone) gonadotropins, but not been utilized for sperm production or maturation at the level of the testis. This is also called primary testicular failure.

The testicular (hypogonadotropic hypogonadism or primary testicular failure) causes of azoospermia are primary defects of the testis. Primary testicular failure is classified into four distinct subtypes they are,

1. Sertoli cell-only syndrome (SCOS),
  2. Germ cell aplasia or maturation arrest (GCA or MA),
  3. Hypospermatogenesis (HS) and
  4. Tubular fibrosis (TF) according to histopathology or cytology findings.

Although accurate categorization is only possible by multiple testicular biopsies or fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC).

What is the treatment for this?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There are gonadotrophin injections of FSH and LH available which are known to potentiate spermatogenesis, but the response depends entirely upon the distinct subtype of failure as would be detected by testicular biopsy which should have been reported by cytology study in his case. They can help in cases of Sertoli cell only syndrome, germ cell maturation arrest and even to an extent in hypospermatogenesis but not in cases of tubular fibrosis.

His treatment would have to be decided based on the subtype. You have to discuss with your treating infertility specialist and weigh your options, thereby taking an informed decision.

Shall I ask the fertility specialist whether he can have this treatment to check if he would produce sperm?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, you can ask your doctor, and he would have to answer and explain the various options in detail.

With the details you have seen, can injections be an option?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is difficult to answer without a biopsy cytology report and a diagnosis established. So I suggest be straight with your queries, and I am sure your doctor would be happy to put your questions to rest.

His testes were 12 to 14cc's. The gonadotropin profile shows moderate testicular failure. Could you advise if this means that hormone therapy would not be beneficial? I may be asking the same questions because we are really confused. And the clinic we attended has not been supportive and not been able to answer anything before the operation. Even when we met the surgeon for the first time, he could not explain anything as he did not have our notes.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Firstly the report is inadequate and does not mention the gonadotropin levels, which are important. And the biopsy does not comment on the structure and the exact pathology of the testis. He may require a repeat consultation with an andrologist, and you would need the gonadotropin levels. With the present information, the prognosis for conception appears grim according to me.

I have gained weight and I have high cortisol level. Do I have Cushing's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering with hypothyroidism and polycystic ovaries. Over last three years, I have gained 15 kg of weight. I am taking T4 150 mg, Glucophage 850 mg and Yasmin. I think I have Cushing's syndrome. My cortisol level in blood is 34 in the morning but in 24 hour urine test it is in norma...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hariharan V
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There may be three possibilities. Either your polycystic ovarian syndrome and hypothyroidism are two separate disorders or it may be a pituitary or autoimmune disease which affects many organs. When did you last check your thyroid levels? If it is too low, then you...  Read Full

My husband has azoospermia. Please suggest what to do.

Query: Hi doctor,My husband is suffering from azoospermia. I do not know what to do. I do not know any good infertility center and specialized doctor. I want a biological child only. Please suggest what to do. How can I come to know whether it is obstructive or non-obstructive? Please reply. He has hard pi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Is there any report of your husband? Smoking, cocaine and other recreational drugs and few other medicines like anti-cancerous can affect male fertility. It is better to quit all recreational drugs. If he has been treated for any disease better to have full assessment a...  Read Full

I have high prolactin.Will this affect my fertility?

Query: Hi, My doctor said that I have high prolactin, almost 200, but I have regular periods. My periods are regular and usually have an interval of 30-33 days. I do not have any othe menstrual symptoms, other than milky nipple discharge. I take ovulation tests every month and comes back positive on my fer...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. High prolactin levels with galactorrhea (milky nipple discharge other than normal breast feeding) can often cause delayed ovulation and irregular menses. The ovulation kits detect the LH surge and do not exactly tell us if there has been ovulation at all. There may be ...  Read Full

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now