Q. What sort of examination is carried out for erection problem?

Answered by
Dr. Rohit Jain
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

Hello doctor,

What will my doctor exactly do while examination, when I tell him I am having erection problems?



Welcome to

It depends on what all positive findings you give while giving history. For example, the doctor will ask you for diabetes, high blood pressure, any regular medicine intake, psychiatric medicines, low hemoglobin symptoms, etc. These diseases usually cause ED (erection dysfunction) as a secondary cause.

Then depending on what comes out of the conversation, the check-up will consist of general body workup. For the ED part, the doctor will surely look for a local problem, the size, and consistency of testis, the shape and size of the penis. He will then try to check for erection as a reflex on touching and will also check for skin retraction. The next step can be a stamp test or a penile Doppler, where the blood supply of the organ will be checked. There can also be a nerve conduction test done if the doctor thinks that the nerve supply is deficient. I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

I do have diabetes, so with that what will my doctor do when I ask about my erection problems? Will there still have to be a checkup? And if so what would that consist of? I can occasionally have a decent erection but nearly as soon as I touch it, it goes away or it is not as hard for any type of sexual activity.



Welcome back to

If you have diabetes, then one of the biggest reasons for sexual weakness has been found for you. First we need to correct this. I need to know what is your age? Since how many years you have diabetes? What is the average sugar levels? What is your HbA1c levels? What medicines are you regularly taking and whether those medicines are having a sexual side effect or not? So the treatment needs to be corrected.

Also, it is very common that nerve dysfunction would happen in diabetes mellitus (DM). You should try taking Methycobalamine and Pregabalin tablets to strengthen your nerves and muscles. Now, I think you are more worried about the examination part rather than knowing the treatment. So I will cut short to the examination part. A physical examination is necessary for every patient, with particular emphasis on the genitourinary, vascular, and neurologic systems. A focused physical examination entails evaluation of the following:

1. Blood pressure.

2. Peripheral pulses.

3. Sensation.

4. Status of the genitalia and prostate.

5. Size and texture of the testes.

6. Presence of the epididymis and vas deferens.

7. Any penile abnormalities, such as hypospadias and Peyronie plaques.

The physical examination may corroborate history findings or may reveal unsuspected physical findings, such as penile plaques, small testes, evidence of possible prostate cancer, prostate infections, or hypertension. So, to conclude, the genital exam will surely happen. The hardness being weak is probably due to diabetes, and it can be corrected with the right medicines, which need to be prescribed to you. You can meet a doctor to go ahead with the treatment or get back to us with all the details of tests and previous treatment and I can help you.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am taking medications for ED with no benefit. Should I go for penile injection therapy?

Secondly, ED is primarily due to poor blood supply to the penis ... Vitamin D can be a common cause for poor erection ... My morning erection...   Read full

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

With regards to erectile dysfunction, the most common cause at this age would be psychogenic ... I feel a strong sexual urge but then there is that ...   Read full

I am having a bruise at the base of the penis shaft with pain after intercourse. Kindly advise.

If not repaired, it may lead to poor erections in the future ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.