Q. What can cause high platelet and low Hb?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Jun 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

My platelet count is going higher and hemoglobin is getting low. I feel sick. My report showed platelet count 5,85,000 and Hb 10.6. What could be the reason?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Mild bleeding or ongoing inflammation could be a cause. Any blood in stools or tarry stools or if there is any fever, then it requires evaluation.
  • You need to check ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and C-reactive protein levels.

Revert back with the reports to a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

I am suffering from fever, breathing problems, body ache, dizziness and weakness.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• I can appreciate increased platelet count, mildly increased eosinophils and low hemoglobin. Red cell indices appear to be normocytic and hypochromic.
  • At present, for fever, which appears to be viral, I suggest Paracetamol 500 mg 8 hourly till fever is present. Also, need to maintain a protein-rich regular diet along with adequate hydration for at least 6 to 8 liters of water per day.
  • If any cold, then get steam inhalation, salt water gargling along with Cetirizine tablet twice daily.
  • For improvement in hemoglobin, iron-rich diet along with Ferrous fumarate supplements will be helpful. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Not to worry about platelets now. Once the infection clears and then repeat your test after a month.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What can I feed my wife to increase hemoglobin levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's hemoglobin is only 6.7. Why is it so? What should I feed her to increase Hb level?  Read Full »

My wife's fitness certificate was put on hold due to low hemoglobin. Can she travel abroad?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife went for a master health checkup. Her fitness certificate was put on hold due to low hemoglobin and other blood test parameters. Her hemoglobin was 8 g/dL, ESR was 25, hematocrit was 26.8, MCV was 62.3, MCH was 18.8, MCHC was 30.0, and RDW was 21.4 %. Can you please chec...  Read Full »

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now