Q. What do high readings in kidney function tests indicate?

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Kidney Stones or Kidney Tests? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am scheduled for extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) to treat a kidney stone that was discovered through testing for gross hematuria. My pre-operative blood work came back with a number of readings that were flagged as high. It includes Alpha-1-acid glycoprotein (AGP) 17, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) 25, creatinine level 1.3, calcium 10.3 and Na is 148. Is this anything should I be concerned about? Should I see a nephrologist prior to the ESWL? Or do you think that it is fine to proceed with the treatment as planned?