Q. What do high readings in kidney function tests indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
Published on Feb 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 23, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am scheduled for extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) to treat a kidney stone that was discovered through testing for gross hematuria. My pre-operative blood work came back with a number of readings that were flagged as high. It includes Alpha-1-acid glycoprotein (AGP) 17, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) 25, creatinine level 1.3, calcium 10.3 and Na is 148. Is this anything should I be concerned about? Should I see a nephrologist prior to the ESWL? Or do you think that it is fine to proceed with the treatment as planned?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your high readings in kidney function tests are probably attributed to the kidney stone that you are having. Any stone present in kidney that is causing hematuria is very likely to cause transient rise in creatinine levels and alter the kidney function test too.

This is the reason for the stone need to be removed else it would cause permanent kidney damage. I suppose there is no need to see a nephrologist at this point. Once your stone is removed, your kidney function would dramatically improve within a matter of few weeks.

However, I would still need to know the location of the stone? What is the size of the stone and any hydroureteronephrosis associated? If possible just attach your ultrasound or CT report. I will get my answers from the report and would help you with my final comment.

Hello doctor,

Just now I talked with my urologist who concurred and I have decided to go as planned. My kidney stone is 1.2 cm as showed on CT and is located in the lower right kidney. Thank you.

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Your stone is quite big in size to cause obstructive uropathy. I suppose you should get the procedure done as planned and write back to me again with fresh kidney function test report.

If it does not improve you would require a DMSA scan (radionuclide scan uses Dimercaptosuccinic acid) further. Wish you a successful surgery.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What food can help maintaining BP in a patient with creatinine level 2.7?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's creatinine is 2.7. Now BP is brought to normal. What food should I give and what to do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, you should get regular follow-ups with her doctor (nephrologist, cardiologist or even internal medicine specialist). Foods to avoid are salt, dark-colored colas, canned foods, orange, and orange juice, red rice, etc. Foods to eat are water the best you can drink...  Read Full

Please suggest some medicines for my wife's UTI and hematuria.

Query: Hi doctor, My 31 year old wife got UTI and hematuria last year, which got resolved after medication. Today she started having UTI symptoms like frequent urination with burning and pain. Please suggest some medicines.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She needs to get these basic tests. Ultrasound of the abdomen. Urine routine and culture. CBC (complete blood count). Serum creatinine. For the time being, I suggest you try taking the following for the urinary tract infection (UTI): Tablet Niftran (Nitrofurantoin) 100 mg...  Read Full

Why is my husband having painless hematuria since a year?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband who is 36 years old, is having painless hematuria since last year. The episodes are not defined, it is present for a month or sometimes as less as a week. MRI, CT scan, and cystoscopy, all show normal findings except hyperemia in the bladder. There are stones in his kidney,...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your husband has already done urine cytology, CT scan, cystoscopy, PSA (prostate-specific antigen), urine routine examination, culture, and all other the investigation are normal, then just keep a follow-up every year with the same investigations. Is he a smoker? An...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Nephrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.